B275 intake manifold question

Guigui

Hi,

I justbought myself an old IH B275 tractor and I noticed something on it. There is a banjo fitting with a pipe that leads to open air. My guess is that thie manifold was for the earlier models with a vaccum pump but I'm not sure. But i dont think it should be opend to exterior air

Also for those who know these, while not being a hard starter, even when it is warm it needs glow plus in order to start well, not much, 5-10 seconds but if I don't use them it does not start well. Are those engines cold blooded?

mvphoto99529.jpg

This post was edited by Guigui on 11/19/2022 at 12:33 pm.

Cat 3304 and 3306 are the same way. In fact, so is
IH 236 and 282, the IH 6.9 and 7.3, and next
generation 7.3.... dont worry about it. Your tractor is
fine.

Sounds like a diesel? Diesels don't produce vacuum from the intake manifold because they run wide open throttle all the time. RPMs are controlled through increasing or decreasing the amount of fuel with the injector pump.

Pre chamber/glow plug diesels NEED the glow plugs to work for cold starting, and some still need the glow plugs heated on warm engines depending on the compression ratio.
There are also some diesels with a VACUUM governor, and if so equipped there will be a throttle plate to control the speed built into the intake manifold assembly.

Hi welcome to YT, see photo below, is it the line highlighted in yellow?
That is an early PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) line.
The banjo flitting can be removed by using a torch and brazed back together.
Either repair it with some tubing or seal it off to prevent sucking unfiltered air into the engine.

Re glow plugs, if engine is in good shape you should only have to use the GPs for first start in the morning but if tractor is shut off for a couple hours then maybe 10 to 15 seconds of GP.
If you have to repair or replace any part of the GP system there is a newer Bosch version that are much better and they operate off 12V in parallel not in series like the current GPs.

cvphoto140835.jpg

Thank you all, it was as JimB2 said, I found the other end of the hardline with a rubber hose on it, just needs hose clamps to hold it now.

Thanks all for the replies about the glow plug, this is my first tractor. I did work on one of my friends tractors but they both have grid heaters so it si different

More info on the BD-144 British Diesel engine, it is a indirect injection Diesel engine meaning the injectors spray the fuel into a pre-combustion chamber where the fuel is ignited.
Indirect injection engines have a higher compression ratio at about 22:1 and require glow plugs for first start. Direct injection engines have a compression ratio about 17:1 and only require heaters or glow
plugs in cold weather.
To save me the time and possibly errors Google indirect injection and direct injection Diesel engines.

Hello Grigio welcome to YT! Just FYI, if you did not
know this photos cannot be pasted into the text area
to post. You need to use the ..Choose files.. button
down near the bottom of the ..New Post and Reply..
windows.

(quoted from post at 15:42:35 11/19/22) Hello Grigio welcome to YT! Just FYI, if you did not
know this photos cannot be pasted into the text area
to post. You need to use the ..Choose files.. button
down near the bottom of the ..New Post and Reply..
windows.

Done, thanks a lot for the info!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back