Back to the Kub Klipper.

old

Well I just did a bit more looking in the area where I lost the blades and low and behold I found the other blade. So I'll be able to put them back on. Odd thing is that the bolt holes are to small for 1/2 inch bolt and 7/16 are a tad bi sloppy. I have 7/16 grade 8 bolts I am planning to use but not sure since they are a bit sloppy so maybe I nee to find some metric bolts that fit tighter. The 7/16 bolts I have I also got lock nuts for.

So what do you think??Use the 7//16 and lock nuts or try to find bolts that fit tighter?? Or did they maybe use a special type/size bolt for mounting the blades. I did figure out they where missing a bolt in each blade since they could swing around like a brush hog blade does but has holes for 2 bolt each

Thanks

Most likely the holes in the blades are oversized due to missing a bolt and they were
swinging around. The threads in the bolts are also most likely worn down and ruined doe to working their way out and IF you found them.
I would start from scratch with new bolts and threads to match in new drilled and tapped holes. and go oversize if possible. Or helicoil. Do the bolts thread into the deck, or through it with nuts?

I would use a half inch reamer and clean up the hole?
Or drill the hole to half inch.
Third option, use a lathe and turn down a half inch bolt and thread the end to a smaller size.
Good chance NAPA has metric bolts.

Since I already had the 7/16 bolts grade 8 and lock nuts I went ahead and used them. The slop in the blades and blade mount isn't very much. I also double nutted them to be extra sure they stay on. Both of the inner bolt holes on the mount felt tighter then the outer ones so it may have been the wear from having 2 bolts missing

(quoted from post at 17:55:15 05/17/21) Well I just did a bit more looking in the area where I lost the blades and low and behold I found the other blade. So I'll be able to put them back on. Odd thing is that the bolt holes are to small for 1/2 inch bolt and 7/16 are a tad bi sloppy. I have 7/16 grade 8 bolts I am planning to use but not sure since they are a bit sloppy so maybe I nee to find some metric bolts that fit tighter. The 7/16 bolts I have I also got lock nuts for.

So what do you think??Use the 7//16 and lock nuts or try to find bolts that fit tighter?? Or did they maybe use a special type/size bolt for mounting the blades. I did figure out they where missing a bolt in each blade since they could swing around like a brush hog blade does but has holes for 2 bolt each

Thanks
2mm is a little bigger than 7/16 and a little smaller than 1/2".

Hey Old..... Only an idea.... Up to you if you think is a good idea. Maybe spray paint each blade a bright neon color to help you locate them if they sling off again. I know a good bit of the paint will scratch off when bush hogging but even if a small amount stays on, it may allow you to spot it easier. Wingnut

That might work. I have a can of orange paint I use to mark deer stands so they can be found easy in the dark. I do plan to get a bit longer 7/16 bolts the ones with untreaded areas so maybe they will fit a bit tighter. But for now will use it as is if it dries out enough for me to do so. I want to mow some areas and get some Milo planted for the deer

Your idea might have some workable thinking to it. There is an area about 2.5 inches wide and 3 or so inches long that if painted would not ever wear off since it would be the area that is where it bolts on and so is covered by the mount bar that the blades bolt to

Okay so where would one find them since the company who made the Kub Klipper has been brought out and that company no longer has parts for it

shadetree operator,
Some more info on the bushings in yours might help old. Are your bushings just in the blades or do they pass through the blades and holders? What size are the bolts that hold your blades on? A smaller bolt diameter (like 5/16") would allow for a thicker wall bushing.

I found a parts list for a Cub Clipper (may not be the same model) that says the following for the blade bolts. " Aircraft bolt AN713 with nut - (7/16 x 1-15/32) blades to bar." No mention of bushings.

old says 3/8" is loose and 1/2" won't fit. That is less than .125" (1/8") difference which means the bushings would have walls less than .0625" (1/16") thick. The blades being held on by two bolts would indicate to me they are fixed, not supposed to be moving so bushings would not be needed. Given the parts list says 7/16 bolts, I would use 7/16", grade 5 or 8, bolts, (with Stover lock nuts)and get the bolts with shanks long enough to be at least partially in both the blade and holder, tighten them, and cut the excess thread off. Metric 8.8 or 10.9 could be used if he wants a fit tighter than the 7/16 SAE. Just my thoughts on this.

My mower must be a different model than what old has. It is a 48 with swinging blades like a Bush Hog. I have not measured the wall thickness on my bushings, but they are close to an 1/8 inch. Sorry for the confusion.

It has 2 blades that bolt to main swinging beam. Sort of like a brush hog but lighter blades more like a lawn mower. When I got it only the outer two bolts held the blades on. Being new to me I didn't know it was set up for the blades to mount solid and not swing.

The model of this one is K-42 as in 42 inch cut. Not as heavy as a brush hog but heavier then a lawn mower as for the blades. Blades are a 1/4 inch thick and 2.5 inches wide and 14.5 inches long

I said 7/16 are loose but not real loose as in maybe normal but with out drilling a 7/16 hole in something I cannot be sure how loose a bolt should be in a drilled hole plus could be a wear factor

(quoted from post at 12:49:36 05/18/21) The model of this one is K-42 as in 42 inch cut. Not as heavy as a brush hog but heavier then a lawn mower as for the blades. Blades are a 1/4 inch thick and 2.5 inches wide and 14.5 inches long

When it is time for new blades, you might be able to find the right width and thickness.The

Get one long enough that you can cut it in half and make new holes as needed.

If they look like a conventional blade at least.

Due to the Cub PTO spinning backwards of most other machines all the blades I find have the cutting edge on the wrong side and the up lift part o blow the grass out on the wrong side. Looked at buying a piece of 1/4 inc 2.5 inch wide 14.5 inch long steel yesterday but at $40 for it I passed. Got lucky and found the other blade so I am good to go at least for a while

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back