Back when they built things to last!

Fawteen

Grabbed an old line-shaft driven lathe off Craigslist last week. It was a "u-load-it" freebie. I snagged it thinking I might be able to use some parts off it on MY old line-shaft lathe.

Turns out nothing is directly compatible, but the darn thing is in pretty good shape and I can't see anything missing or broken so I'm cleaning it up and getting it running for re-sale (I don't need two, and mine has the threading change gears).

It's been converted to electric motor drive with a jackshaft arrangement. I started looking at the motor today. Gave the pulley a spin and it was quiet and coasted pretty good so I decided to blow it out good with compressed air and see if it would run.

Spun right up, centrifugal start switch clicked in and out no problem, no smoke, no smell and coasted for nearly a minute after shutting it off. According to what I can find about it on the Innerwebz, that motor (A 1/2 horse Century) is almost certainly over 100 years old and may have been made in 1910 if I'm reading the serial number right.

Try that with the Chineseum motors you buy today!

I'd be more than happy to try that with a Chineseum motor I would buy today because in 100 years (the test period) I would be 168 years old.

Post us a picture of the lathe if possible. I love hearing about/ seeing/finding old machines like that. What brand is it? Just curious.

Garry

I've been trying to identify it. There is absolutely NO identifying info on the lathe anywhere. Nothing cast into anything, no plates, not even holes where a plate used to be that I can find.

Some of the details look very much like a South Bend Junior 9, but the apron is different and the SB has handwheels where this one has cranks.
oldlathe.jpg

I have a Monarch lathe about 8 feet long that was an old line shaft lathe.
Was given to me and I had to drive about 120 miles to where it was.
I used it the other day.
I figure it is over 100 years old.
Richard in NW SC

If you want to really get some life out of that motor put a solid state start winding switch on it, LOL.

This is my old lathe 1904 American Tool Works.
Still a good lathe, use it when I need to turn something.

mvphoto42977.jpg

mvphoto42978.jpg

I have a Shepard lathe. The was a line shaft. Dont look like that one all i can find about the company they went out of business in 1921

I have a Seneca Falls lathe. It has a Ford transmission. It appears to have a manufactured conversion kit from line shaft to electric motor with the Ford Transmission. It also has the power tool drive.

Dusty

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back