Bailing Wire

Kevin Black

New User
Does anyone know where one could buy the wire used when bailing hay with the stationary wire tie bailers? I would like to use one for demonstration at our local show but I can't find the wire. Thanks.
 
I may be blowin' smoke here, but on one I've seen runnin' over in New Hampshire, the fella runnin' it had a big bundle, wrapped in heavy clear plastic, of lengths of wire each with a loop in one end that worked like a charm. Don't know why, but I had the impression they were for a round baler. That's the part that may be washed up. It definitely appeared, though, to be a readily available wire for some other application that suited the hay-press.

I'll see if I can raise the fella that runs that show and get him to pop over and share what he might know.
 
Go visit your local recycling center and talk to the people who run it. And be prepared to pay some kind of a little bribe to help make it happen. The wire we use for our show came from there and is used to bundle up cardboard for recycling.
(I'm the guy Scotty was referring to, BTW.)
 

Taken from McMaster-Carr. Do a search at www.mcmaster.com for bale wire ties. Maybe not the cheapest place, but it is a source.

Single Loop
Bundle bags, cables, rods, pipe, and lumber.
Single-loop ties have a loop on one end. Simply feed the straight end through the loop and twist. They are longer for cardboard, lumber, and other large bundles. Galvanized steel is more corrosion resistant than black annealed steel.
Double-loop ties are shorter than single-loop ties and have a loop on each end that can be twisted around each other for a secure closure. Use on bags, cables, and other small bundles.
Stainless steel offers better corrosion resistance than black annealed steel. PVC-coated steel reduces slipping and allows for extra-tight twists.

Double Loop

Single-Loop Ties
Black Annealed
Galvanized

O'all Pkg. Steel Steel
Lg. Qty. Per Pkg. Per Pkg.

14 Gauge (0.08" OD)
8' 25 2000T81 $5.61
2000T21 $8.58

10' 25 2000T82 6.96
2000T22 10.67

12' 25 2000T83 8.30
2000T23 12.71

14' 25 2000T84 9.66
2000T24 14.78

15' 25 2000T85 11.91
2000T25 15.80

18' 25 2000T86 14.24
2000T26 18.89

13 Gauge (0.09" OD)
8' 25 2000T71 8.48
2000T31 11.24

10' 25 2000T72 10.68
2000T32 13.93

12' 25 2000T73 12.53
2000T33 16.62

14' 25 2000T74 14.57
2000T34 19.31

15' 25 2000T75 15.58
2000T35 20.67

18' 25 2000T76 18.62
2000T36 24.71


Joe

P.S. A local show here in Indiana has a hand crank machine that they make their own with. There is also a place in Crawfordsville, In that makes them commercially, but I don't know how to get ahold of them anymore.
 
There Is A Small Company Called Midwest Bale Ties, Here In Crawfordsville Indiana That Makes Them. Fellow In Our Tractor Club Gets Them For His Stationary Baler From Them. Telephone Number Is 765-364-0113.
 
I used wire to tie up bales of cloth and cardboard in a textile mill a lot of years ago.The wires had a loop in one end.Hay used to be wire tied in Canada years ago.Big bales of alfalfa.Farmers had big collections of wire that we used to haul to junk yards.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top