Battery question

bc

Hello guys. Decided yesterday I needed a new battery for my 2606. Decided to get a 65N since I could also use it in the Ford pickup as well. Walmart had a choice of 3 batteries. Their Everstart Maxx with 850 CCA with 36 month warranty for 140 bux. A mid range Everstart with 750 CCA with 24 month warranty for 110 bux. The base Everstart said 650 CCA with 12 month warranty for 70 bux. I knew from the plumbers that the 4 year and 10 year warranted water heaters were the same thing with different labels and you were basically paying for an extended warranty. I applied the same logic and bot the cheap one. I can buy 2 basic 1 year batteries for the price of 1 3 yr battery. I didn't lift all three to see if they were progressively heavier with more lead but I bet they weigh the same. My opinion is that they could all put out 850 CCA if tested. Usually buy the Maxx batteries and usually get around 4 years before they go kaput.

Just wondering what the opinions you have on batteries? Thanks.

I've never been able to coax 800cca out of 600cca batteries but if you can I don't find fault with it. The Wal-Mart I buy from warranty's batteries longer than yours. Everstart Maxx something like 5 years with last 2 pro-rated. I don't have a lot of opinions about batteries ,just something I haven't dwelled on.

Hello guys. Decided yesterday I needed a new battery for my 2606. Decided to get a 65N since I could also use it in the Ford pickup as well. Walmart had a choice of 3 batteries. Their Everstart Maxx with 850 CCA with 36 month warranty for 140 bux. A mid range Everstart with 750 CCA with 24 month warranty for 110 bux. The base Everstart said 650 CCA with 12 month warranty for 70 bux. I knew from the plumbers that the 4 year and 10 year warranted water heaters were the same thing with different labels and you were basically paying for an extended warranty. I applied the same logic and bot the cheap one. I can buy 2 basic 1 year batteries for the price of 1 3 yr battery. I didn't lift all three to see if they were progressively heavier with more lead but I bet they weigh the same. My opinion is that they could all put out 850 CCA if tested. Usually buy the Maxx batteries and usually get around 4 years before they go kaput.

While I was in Walmart today since I had read this earlier I stopped and picked up both the cheapest battery and the one for $149.95 and they both felt about the same as for weight

I would like to know how you think that you can test a battery at a higher Advertised CCA rating, and a method you use to do so,

Guido.

I pay real close attention to the warranty terms with batteries.
Lets say you buy a battery with a 5 year warranty. At 4 years it goes bad so they charge you 4/5 price for the new battery.
So you paid $80 for a $100 battery and it goes bad in 6 months.
Since the warranty period doesn’t start over with the new battery they now want to charge you 4.5/5 or $90 for the new battery even though you just paid $80 for it 6 months ago.

bc
Just wondering what the opinions you have on batteries?
I don't buy batteries from Walmart. So no opinion on Walmart batteries.

I buy all my tractor batteries from Rural King.
On the average they last 5 -6 years.
I had to replace two Rural King
IMG_20240208_130405~2.jpg
original_46c5473b-18e3-4a60-8b66-f6aa174f5c2b_IMG_20240209_095226.jpg
12 year old mower batteries this spring. I buy the most expensive mower batteries too. They last longer than the smaller ones.

My car uses a Delco AGM battery.
I bought a new 1030 amp Delco battery (850 cca) from Summit racing for around $170, free shipping.
I replaced the 6 year old battery 835 amp because the battery voltage dropped below
11 volts each time the car restarted at the stop light.
The new battery voltage doesn't drop below 12.5 v on restart.
I gave my old battery to my stump grinder guy.
He ground my stump for free. I figured my old battery was worth $75 stump removal fee.

I replace my car battery before it leaves me stranded along the road when I travel to Florida.

You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I have 7-8 of the $70 group 65 batteries. Cars and tractors, I generally get 4-5 years out of them. My F350 w/6.8 will eat one in 2 years, but I think the snowplow has a lot to do with that. Never had good luck with other brands in that one either.

I have no complaints for the price. Besides, it cost me almost $70 to drive to Walmart.

Reactions: bc
I would like to know how you think that you can test a battery at a higher Advertised CCA rating, and a method you use to do so,

Guido.
You put it on a tester and see what it puts out. The tester is going to push the battery to its limit and battery is going to put out what it's going to put out. The battery doesn't care what it's rated at, and neither does the tester.

More likely than the cheaper batteries putting out more than rated, you'll find the more expensive batteries put out LESS than rated.

bc

I had to replace two Rural King View attachment 71015View attachment 7101612 year old mower batteries this spring. I buy the most expensive mower batteries too. They last longer than the smaller ones.

I bought a new 1030 amp Delco battery (850 cca) from Summit racing for around $170, free shipping.
I replaced the 6 year old battery 835 amp because the battery voltage dropped below
He ground my stump for free. I figured my old battery was worth $75 stump removal fee.

I replace my car battery before it leaves me stranded along the road when I travel to Florida.

You have a good price for an AGM battery. 200 bux at Sams for Duracell and 180 to 200 at Wally world. The rub is if something goes wrong and you need a replacement at home, on the road, or in Florida. I prefer the Sams batteries for regular use however I've had a problem or two with the pickup and I'm no where near a Sams. With Wally world I can find a place anywhere in the country if something goes wrong or even get a tow to Walmart. Usually if something goes wrong in a warranty period it is due to an electrical problem which runs a battery down far enough or enough times that it will show a bad cell needing replacement when taken to the store for replacement. Of course the replacement as stated above reverts back to the original date and you can end up paying a proration which in the end may just make it better to pay the full cost and start with a new period.

I believe the Delco AGM batteries are made by Global Yuasa out of South Korea which is a good battery. Walmart has switched manufacturers over time and I think they get them now from East Penn which is one of the major manufacturers who also makes Deka, Duracell, and Kirkland among others. Walmart used to get them from Johnson Controls which has been sold to/bot out by Clarios. Clarios made some of the AC Delco used by GM, Mopar, Duralast, and the Voyager brands among others. To identify a Clarios battery look for a bevel corner vent cap. There is supposed to be a stamped emblem or something on the bottom, side, or top of the case that identifies the manufacturer. Exide and others make batteries too. Of course this information may have changed in the last year or two. I have a friend who managed the Salina Exide plant, went to Bristol, TN and built the battery plant there, and then became an Exide VP before retiring.

You are lucky to get a stump grinder for 75 bux. Send him my way.

I use WM batteries, no problems and I have a lot of them. WM is 2 mi from my house and there is a WM in just about every town. If the doors are open there is someone there that can take care of you. Rural King is a ride from me and if you set yourself on fire in the store no one would notice. The hardest thing to find at the Rural Kings I've been to is an employee.

Reactions: bc

I bought these in 2016 when they were $50. They are still going. I also have a $70 version in my truck which replaced a Maxx, no problems yet.

Batt-Group65.jpg

PXL_20240514_163735006.jpg

bc

I had to replace two Rural King View attachment 71015View attachment 7101612 year old mower batteries this spring. I buy the most expensive mower batteries too. They last longer than the smaller ones.

My daughters 2022 Buick Enclave shuts off at stop light/signs. It supposed to keep running when you stop, when the battery needs replaced.

My experience the 2 year battery's don't last as long with an exception are two along the line. I will not sell a 2 year battery you can go get one yourself. I have to warranty my work and please the customer, If a battery fails at 30 mo. its not a warranty they are not happy they forget they went with a cheaper battery. In their head that cheap battery did not last 3 years. If it can make it into the 40 mo. range they conceive it lasted 4 years and take it in stride so 42mo free replacement battery's are all I will sell.

Battery life depends on quite a few things one being a quality battery is designed for 5000 starts. Another is as it ages its storage capacity goes down in other words its gets short winded. It gets very frustrating when a customer will not replace a battery because it will start the car but I cant leave a door open are the ignition switch on for a short time to diagnose an issue. I fire them and tell them I can not help them life is good.

My experience the 2 year battery's don't last as long with an exception are two along the line. I will not sell a 2 year battery you can go get one yourself. I have to warranty my work and please the customer, If a battery fails at 30 mo. its not a warranty they are not happy they forget they went with a cheaper battery. In their head that cheap battery did not last 3 years. If it can make it into the 40 mo. range they conceive it lasted 4 years and take it in stride so 42mo free replacement battery's are all I will sell.

Battery life depends on quite a few things one being a quality battery is designed for 5000 starts. Another is as it ages its storage capacity goes down in other words its gets short winded. It gets very frustrating when a customer will not replace a battery because it will start the car but I cant leave a door open are the ignition switch on for a short time to diagnose an issue. I fire them and tell them I can not help them life is good.
Agree. Battery manufacturers do create different levels of battery and the CCA is a miracle if it is maintained for a year. Choose your own poison but give customers reliability. Jim

If you don't own one I'd like to suggest adding a Deltran Battery Tender to your arsenal. Even if there's nothing wrong with charging system batteries benefit from spending time on a tender occasionally and it's a game changer for seldom used vehicles. Not many businesses take interest in customers that you do, hat tip to you.

My daughters 2022 Buick Enclave shuts off at stop light/signs. It supposed to keep running when you stop, when the battery needs replaced.
When you look at how much the dealer wants to replace the battery, you will not chance damaging the charging system and replace the battery yourself.

Did some looking today. The bottom of each battery had imprints for date of mfr and other stuff such as the manufacturer. However I didn't want to flip it over to read them close but I took pics. On the top of the Duracell it says it is made by East Penn Company and made in the USA. On top of the Walmart Everstart it says it is made in South Korea but it has initials which are EPC that stands for East Penn Company. East Penn Company is privately owned and also makes AC Delco and Optima batteries among others.

20240518_143833[1].jpg
20240518_143903[1].jpg
20240518_154430[1].jpg
20240518_154517[1].jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back