Battery terminal lost connection

jhncp

Member
The starter quit working at a public place of course and all it would do is click. I had to pull start it. I was about to take starter off and the majority of people prabably would of but I figured out the main cable going to starter didn't have juice and the problem was inside the cable terminal so I drilled it and bolted it and problem solved. Also I AA engineered a fuel system on the idi. The fuel drains back, so I prime it with a electric pump and a small fuel container before starting, another easy fix, otherwise it starts and stops and takes alot of cranking and wear on the starter to get it going again.
 

Attachments

  • 20240913_163016.jpg
    20240913_163016.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 222
The starter quit working at a public place of course and all it would do is click. I had to pull start it. I was about to take starter off and the majority of people prabably would of but I figured out the main cable going to starter didn't have juice and the problem was inside the cable terminal so I drilled it and bolted it and problem solved. Also I AA engineered a fuel system on the idi. The fuel drains back, so I prime it with a electric pump and a small fuel container before starting, another easy fix, otherwise it starts and stops and takes alot of cranking and wear on the starter to get it going again.
Good that you figured that out before spending the $$$ and labor on replacing the starter.

It's more common than some realize.
 
My cousin had a Taurus that he bought new. After about 2 yrs had intermittent starting problems. Took us a while to figure it out. When the factory battery cable was made they did not strip off the insulation. Only the end of the cable barely made contact. Once that had arced enough it sometimes would or wouldn't make contact. We sawed the cable end open once we knew and replaced the cable. Never seen anything like it till now. May be the same issue.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RCP
My cousin had a Taurus that he bought new. After about 2 yrs had intermittent starting problems. Took us a while to figure it out. When the factory battery cable was made they did not strip off the insulation. Only the end of the cable barely made contact. Once that had arced enough it sometimes would or wouldn't make contact. We sawed the cable end open once we knew and replaced the cable. Never seen anything like it till now. May be the same issue.
You may be exactly right. When I drilled through it, I noticed red insulation in between the cable and battery terminal
 
The starter quit working at a public place of course and all it would do is click. I had to pull start it. I was about to take starter off and the majority of people prabably would of but I figured out the main cable going to starter didn't have juice and the problem was inside the cable terminal so I drilled it and bolted it and problem solved. Also I AA engineered a fuel system on the idi. The fuel drains back, so I prime it with a electric pump and a small fuel container before starting, another easy fix, otherwise it starts and stops and takes alot of cranking and wear on the starter to get it going again.
I would like to see more on that fuel setup and small tank? I have a 87 Ford F-350 gas that is hard to start after sitting and it has two electric pumps in the tanks. Lots of cranking and pumping to get it going but a ounce of gas poured in carb starts right away. Where is your small tank and pump located??
 
I would like to see more on that fuel setup and small tank? I have a 87 Ford F-350 gas that is hard to start after sitting and it has two electric pumps in the tanks. Lots of cranking and pumping to get it going but a ounce of gas poured in carb starts right away. Where is your small tank and pump located??
There is no small tank mounted I just keep the container handy. The electric fuel pump is laying behind the battery and I stick the hose in it
 
I would like to see more on that fuel setup and small tank? I have a 87 Ford F-350 gas that is hard to start after sitting and it has two electric pumps in the tanks. Lots of cranking and pumping to get it going but a ounce of gas poured in carb starts right away. Where is your small tank and pump located??
If it has electric pumps in the tanks why would you need to add an extra external electric pump? If you go there not all electric pumps are self-priming and the location of the pump will make all the difference in the world. I would never try and hack that system I would try and understand/test it.

A 37 year old system has more possibilities and issues than the law allows there is no one possible answer.
 
If it has electric pumps in the tanks why would you need to add an extra external electric pump? If you go there not all electric pumps are self-priming and the location of the pump will make all the difference in the world. I would never try and hack that system I would try and understand/test it.

A 37 year old system has more possibilities and issues than the law allows there is no one possible answer.
Because it has a mechanical pump
 
Reply to cleddy problem: Had van that vintage. Found that first start after setting that you needed to turn switch to run position for 3 or 4 seconds then off repeat pause time at run position then go to start. They had a computer pump shut off if system did not pressurize in a certain time in run position. Pump turned back on when cranking but did not start until system had enough pressure to run. If you run out of gas it may be necessary to repeat several times to refill fuel system.
 
Many inline external electric fuel pumps have non return valves built into them . These fail or get stuck partially open and won't allow sufficient pressure to build in the line .
On car I owned used a Bosch pump that cost many hundreds to replace, after the second failure I added an aftermarket open when energised fuel shut off solenoid to the line , never had the problem again .
 
The starter quit working at a public place of course and all it would do is click. I had to pull start it. I was about to take starter off and the majority of people prabably would of but I figured out the main cable going to starter didn't have juice and the problem was inside the cable terminal so I drilled it and bolted it and problem solved. Also I AA engineered a fuel system on the idi. The fuel drains back, so I prime it with a electric pump and a small fuel container before starting, another easy fix, otherwise it starts and stops and takes alot of cranking and wear on the starter to get it going again.
Replace the little rubber return hoses on the injectors. That will fix the drain back and let it start easily.
 
My cousin had a Taurus that he bought new. After about 2 yrs had intermittent starting problems. Took us a while to figure it out. When the factory battery cable was made they did not strip off the insulation. Only the end of the cable barely made contact. Once that had arced enough it sometimes would or wouldn't make contact. We sawed the cable end open once we knew and replaced the cable. Never seen anything like it till now. May be the same issue.
Similar issue with a new '77 Plymouth Volare'. It was good for about a year then intermittent start. The crimped terminal at the starter was intermittent. Pulled it off and crimped the daylights out of it and flowed solder in. Never had a problem with it again.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top