wildbill447

New User
Does anybody have any idea why my freshly rebuilt BD144 is filling up the oil pan with deisel when I start it? It starts blowing deisel out of the breather cap within a couple of minutes after starting it. Any ideas on what to check?

I assume you mean that since the engine crankcase (oil) is over full due to dilution with fuel the engine is releasing that from the breather. One of two things or both. Does your engine have a transfer fuel pump number 18 in the link? If so it can fail and leak fuel into the crankcase. Was the injection pump rebuilt or resealed during the rebuild? If not the drive shaft seal can fail and also leak fuel into the crankcase.

Edit: Taking a second look at the diagrams if your oil cap or breather is on the valve cover and this is happening that is not good. It would tend to indicate that you are experiencing a lot of compression blow-by which would mean a problem has occurred with piston rings or severe scoring of a piston and/or cylinder wall. If this is a problem when the oil cap is removed heavy vapor pulsing will felt coming out of the crankcase. My initial reply thought the breather cap you described was on the timing gear case.
CNHI IH BD 144 online parts catalog

This post was edited by used red MN on 11/19/2023 at 12:10 pm.

I have only run the engine for about 20 minutes yesterday then when I started it today it ran for about five minutes then started blowing diluted oil out of the valve cover breather.

..blowing diesel out of the breather cap within a couple of minutes after starting it..
What is or was the oil level at when this occurred? Is the breather on the valve cover? Did you reseal the injection pump or you took it to someone for a rebuild? Is the fuel tank on the piece of equipment higher than the engine to allow gravity to flow fuel into the engine through a leak while the machine is just setting?

Before I started the engine the oil level was normal on the dipstick. Yes the cap is on the top of the valve cover. I did reseal the injection pump. And yes the engine is in a international 3444 backhoe so the fuel tank sits just above the valve cover.

Is this in a tractor, what model? Sounds like as I suggested the fuel was able to leak into the crankcase by gravity likely through the lift or transfer pump if it has one. Otherwise, if no lift pump it sounds like your injection pump is the problem. Very unlikely for fuel to get into the engine through a stuck or non sealing injector because the return normally comes into the tank high above the fuel level. If the oil level is real high the crank is spinning under a bath of fluid it could slosh stuff up into the valve cover area.

Bottom line is it is getting in there through either the lift pump or the injection pump. If it has a lift pump I would figure out a way to feed it fuel off the engine and stroke it manually with the outlet both open and closed and see if any fuel come through to the engine side. If not then the IJ pump is the issue. Working on one of those pumps requires a bit of knowledge and experience to get it assembled correctly and know what problems to look for.

The backhoe does have a lift pump mounted on the side of the block driven by the camshaft then the fuel line travels around the back of the block to the injection pump. I guess I will need to get another injection pump kit and go back through the pump again.

I

I don't see it happening that fast except by running through a badly ruptured diaphragm in the transfer pump

May be too late, but better check out the lift pump first bed you tear into the IJ pump again. If you think you have to go back in the pump post pictures of the shaft where the seal rides and the seal mount area as well. That is the only place the fuel can transfer into the crankcase.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back