Bearing Install Tips

duckrock

I'm trying to install a new bearing in the rear end of my 860, but it wants to go in crooked. Anyone have tips or tricks, tools, video to watch - anything that could help get it installed. I've used all-thread as a puller. Warmed the house and froze the bearing. Sandwiched the bearing and housing between flat steel and used a C-clamp. I'm not sure what else to try.
cvphoto165388.jpg

cvphoto165389.jpg

You might try repeating freezing the bearing but do not heat the housing, just do not monkey around with trying to force it in with C clamp and plates. Just quickly set it up there as straight as possible and tap it in with a regular hammer. That race is real hard so the hammer will not hurt it. Just seconds after the bearing contacts the inside of the housing any shrinking affects of the freezing will be gone. But hopefully you got it in there and started straight. At that point lay your plate on it and drive it home with a 2 lbs hammer.

You need to check a few things before you put the bearing in the freezer. You have to have everything ready when you take it out.

Make sure the hole is clean. No burrs or rough spots. Maybe even hit it with some sand paper to make sure it is clean. Make sure you have not raised a bump around the edge during the previous attempts. Make a chamfer around the edge if there is not already one there. If there is one, make sure it is even all around.

Do you know anyone with a lathe that can turn you some bushings to hold the bearing in proper alignment as you pull it in? It bearing needs to be in perfect alignment both angle and axis before you can get it to slide in.

If not, there are kits like that one below. This sample is pricey, but your local auto parts store may rent one. Around here Advance and O'Reilly rent tools. You buy the tool, then return it in 48 hours, they return the payment.

If you choose to hammer the bearing in. NEVER hit the inside race. Only hit around the outside edge.

Always lubricate the bearing and the hole before you attempt installation.
Bearing Installer.

Thanks. I was able to get it installed. I had a 2 inch ID pipe that fit nicely over my bearing/seal driver. The pipe was long enough to reach down from the transmission side and drive the bearing in. Without a helper it was a little tricky keeping the rear end housing from falling over, holding the pipe, and hammer at the same time.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back