beaver damage options?

glennster

grrrrr....these critters are driving me nutz!!! have creeks on both farms and these things do major damage. have trapped about 40 of em the past several years, and have a trapper working them currently. here is the latest. the other farm has a main tile that drains into a pond built by a prev owner. they dug the pond. there is an outlet that runs under an earth berm and drains into my creek. dang beavers pushed dirt and debris around the drain and raised the pond level about 4 feet and now the main tile isnt draining. had an excavator out twice this year to clean around drain. i am thinking maybe take some cattle panels,, 5x18 feet and making a fence around the drain. will need to dig out the drain again before installing the fence. think it will work? any other ideas! heres a pic of the drain. its a verticle pipe with slots cut in it, goes down about 9 feet before the 90 elbow that flows to creek. all the dirt around the drain is what they hauled in. the actual bank is about 6 feet from the drain, and the bank is pretty steep. they backfilled it in real good!
a249518.jpg

a249519.jpg

a249520.jpg

Makes good target practice. They say a dead one left in their pond and the rest will leave. I have an 80 acre pond and they sometimes spread out from it so I thin the herd. I use to have a permit to shoot them and hen I did I left several in a couple of new ponds and they quit working in them. I also have a creek that branches in to 2 and they plug up my tubes causing the trail to wash out. Breaking the dam out does not work they just come back. My son and grandsons trap them and this helps keep them under control

I have a heavy gage turkey wire fence placed out a couple of feet from my culvert pipe drain--so the fine grained mud passes thru but holds back the beavers and branches---have to pull off the branches about once a week using a long boat hook

Dynamite is kind of hard to come by these days, I would dig the dam part way open so it leaks and then sit on the bank quietly just before sunset and shoot them. A 22 will work, but they are hard to kill, a 12 ga with 00 buck works well.

Wife's uncle told the story of digging into a den one time and putting a 20 LB propane bottle in it, still visible. Got back a ways with a 30.06 and shot the tank until it blew up!! No more den and the beavers left for a while.

Shoot! With the past decade of flooded farm land here we have been over-run with beaver colonies making a bad situation worse. There was a $30 bounty on their tails which helped. With hardly any rain this past year it seems to have driven them out of most sloughs due to the water being gone.

kinda the line i was thinking. i could wrap the cattle panel with turkey wire, form a circle and place over drain. lost about 30 acres of beans this year from them flooding me out, and the other farm about 8 acres of corn that they cut down and hauled away.

Funny but I've seen beaver dams much longer than that guy is claiming. Yes they will leave that for better terrain like up or down stream on a crick. But when they have few places to go they will make rather large and impressive dams.

Rick

Old wire corn crib panels would work better than the cattle panels. They are longer and have a smaller hole in them. Also the concrete reinforcing mesh works too and you can buy it is 50 foot rolls. There are different gage sizes for the wires.

(quoted from post at 07:04:11 12/06/17) you have put up with this for several years, you have more patience then me, dynomite and be done

Yup, you would be done with them until the next day, LOL.

I have the same setup as you have pictured. I use a 4'x4'x4'+- frame wrapped with horse fence (smaller holes). That with a 22 at dawn seems to keep the damage down most years.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back