Belt for Cub Cadet Zero-turn mower

Tom in TN

I have a Cub Cadet ZTR-54 inch cut mower. A few days ago someone posted here on YT about buying a drive belt from TSC that was too short for his mower. I've searched this site but can't find that post. If you posted it, or have some insight on my problem, I'd really appreciate it if you'd post a reply to this post.

The drive belt (not the spindle belt that drives the blades, the other belt) on my mower recently shredded and broke. I looked up the part number on the Cub Cadet site, plus there is a sticker on the mower that specifies the P/N for the belt. I bought a new belt at the local Cub Cadet dealer and tried to install it. I wrestled all afternoon today trying to replace the belt. It is just too short.

I called Cub Cadet support and they assured me that I have the right belt but I am just stymied. It's too short.

Any ideas or did you post the original post about a belt that was too short?

Tom in TN

Steve, Yes, the P/N is printed on the belt. I checked that early to see if the dealer had actually sold me a belt that was the wrong part number. Cub Cadet customer service told me that the belt was 67 inches long. I need to pull the belt back out of the mower to check that.

Thanks for your response.

Tom in TN

Im sure there is a spring loaded arm for tension that you must pull back to get the belt on , it just doesn't jump on the pullies

Thanks Grizz,

I actually have have the tensioner spring removed from the machine right now. I must have the belt routed incorrectly because even with the tensioner relaxed, I can't get the belt around the two hydraulic pumps and the pulley on the main shaft.

This ain't rocket science but I wish I could get a rocket scientist to show me what I'm doing wrong.

Tom in TN

I feel your pain. I had a PTO belt for my Cub Cadet lawn tractor last year that I just could not get on. It was about 6 inches too short, yet it was a Cub Cadet brand belt and had the right CC number stamped right on it. It caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth, not to mention a few bad words, but none of that helped, it just would not fit.

I finally went back to the Cub Cadet Dealer and asked them to measure the belt to see if it was the length specified. They measured it against another new belt and sure enough, mine was shorter. They had no explanation, but they gave me a new belt and I took it home and it went right on like it was supposed to.

Moral of the story: sometimes the number stamped on the belt is the wrong number, even when it is a purebred, official, from the dealer, Cub Cadet branded belt. It happened to me, it can happen to you. Double check that the belt is the right length.

I finally got the belt installed. What a nightmare. The final thing I did was to remove the bolt that holds the tensioner pulley to its bracket, reroute the belt, and reinstalled the pulley. It was difficult to get the bolt through the pulley and reinstall it in the bracket, but I finally got it. A big part of the problem was there is a belt retaining guide that is part of the tensioner bracket, so I was lying on my back, holding the tensioner pulley up, holding the belt between the guide and pulley, and getting the bolt back into its hole.

But in any event, it's back together and will actually go forward and backward now.

Next challenge though is that one of the spindles is broken. I got it off of the deck but I'll have to wait until Monday to acquire a new spindle.

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

Tom in TN

I'm curious how old and how many hours on your cub cadet? I have a conventional cub cadet rider. It's 11 years old and a little over 500 hours. I replaced the drive belt a few weeks ago because the old one was nearly gone and was starting to make a lot of noise but not yet broken. Put two new spindles on too and now it sounds and runs like new. My belt was pretty easy job. Hardest thing was getting it back on the engine pulley. Tight enclosure around that pulley. Curious to know how long yours lasted.

Turkeyfoot,

Thanks for the reply.

My zero-turn is a 2013 model that I bought used about 5 or 6 years ago. It's been heavily used since I got it but I don't know about how it was used before I got it. I mow about 3 or 4 acres of hilly, rough, uneven ground with it about once a week in the warmer weather. It's been a reliable mower but truth to tell, it does a pretty uneven, shaggy job on my yard. It has a 54 inch deck on it and since my yard is so rough, it looks pretty uneven when I'm done.

I'm not sure about the number of hours on it. Is that built into the control panel?

Tom in TN

If there is a pulley with a groove the belt goes in it if the pulley is flat the back side of the belt goes on it , most times there is a diagram the the mower deck

Hi Tom, mine has an LCD readout on dash that cycle between hours and battery voltage. I use it about 45-50 hours per year. Also 54 inch deck. It's been a decent mower and still had a strong engine Briggs twin 400 cc, iirc. My lands mostly flat but sometimes I use the mower where a brush hog would be better hence the spindle replacements.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back