Belt lubricant

I always used a bar of hand soap to start with.
Hold it on the underside of the belt while belt is moving. Becareful of your fingers!!

Gary

Doug
Dont lube any belt. They need friction to drive the pulleys. Check the belt condition to see if needs to be replaced first. Then check the pulleys inside V for wear. If all is good then tension the belt to stop the slippage.
CNESLER

I agree with some of the others. A belt squeals for reasons, none good. Worn belt, loose belt, worn pulleys, something dragging like bearings. I used to see cans of belt dressing, Permatex being one, but always figured that by the time one invested in that for an aged belt, could've spent a few $$$ more and some time and done it right if the problem was a belt. If its a tight budget and these days I can certainly understand that, but I honestly don't know any home remedies to get you by for now.

Good luck though.

Mark

Years ago it was common to hear belts on early 1950s Chevys (6 cyl) make a rasping sound (not slipping) and an old mechanic I knew would squirt brake fluid on it and it would run quiet for a long time. He said brake fluid didn't hurt belting because it flowed in rubber brake lines. But I agree with the others if belt is squealing you adjust or buy new.
LA in WI

Belt dressing was more for the older flat drive belts like on a thrashing machine that were made out of either canvas , more than likely, or on smaller ones leather. Neither had much grip without the dressing unlike the rubber belts. The dressing was a stickey substance that would make that canvas belt grip the slick steel of the flat pully. If you try it on a V type belt if you don't get it applied equally to both sides it will cause the belt to throw off the pullys.

if you are using a home remedy, then i use an old long tapered wax candle. safest to use, no mess and effective.

Belt dressing is made from Resin its very sticking and is used on only flat belts. They are supposed to sound like they are sticking to the pulley that is how they work.
V-Belts do not use any substance on the belt it grips by the V shape of the pulley and belt. If it squeals then something is wrong FIX IT don't add something to it or you will be very sorry.
Walt

If I might add..........

Those that suggest a belt inspection are right. Check and see if the belt is loose (one of the first things!), then see if the "V" sides of the belt are polished and smooth. Heat and loose fit will cause this, and if the inside is showing signs of cracks, buy a new belt.

Belt dressing will eat up a V-belt. Take the belt off and I've lightly sanded all the pulleys involved, this helps but replace the belt.

If any of the pulleys shine at the very bottom of the "V" then you have the wrong belt or the pulley is shot. This will keep the belt from gripping the pulley and cause slippage and squeeling.

I have heard that anti-freeze is sticky enough to work. I have not had occasion to try it. Belt dressing definitely helps on flat belts.

Tighten the Belt to a depression of 1/2". if it does not quit"Squealing" get the right size Belt.Don't use any sort of temporary "Belt Dressing" to fix the problem on a V Belt other than keeping it tight properly and useing the right size.

Belt dressing is a funky fix for worn pulleys, too worn/small of a belt, and/or incorrect tension.

please tell me where one might find Pull More belt dressingin Mn, SD, Ia, haven't been able to find it for along time, only some clear stuff from Running's. I want the stuff that worked.

Quite the opposite!

Anti-freeze can be used as a tire lube in a pinch, (makes the rubber as slick as snot)and won't hurt the rubber

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back