bench grinder

JDJACK

I am looking to buy a new 8 inch bench grinder.
Don't want t cheap on the shakes the bench.
made in usa.
Any ideas?

well you could make a stand for it and then the bench would be fine I made one out of an old wheel and some pipe and other scrap iron and it works like a champ

You will struggle to find USA made. I bought a pretty good grinder from Ace Hardware. Well built and reasonably priced.

(quoted from post at 11:34:55 02/25/12)
I am looking to buy a new 8 inch bench grinder.
Don't want t cheap on the shakes the bench.
made in usa.
Any ideas?

The cheapies will run very smooth if you take the time and make sure the grinding wheels are a perfect fit on the arbor. A grinding wheel with the incorrect sized bushing in the bore will be a sloppy fit on the arbor and it will not be centered, therefore the wheel will run out of round and do a whole lot of shakin' around.

A wheel can be out of balance and run rough.Wheel can be tight on the arbor and not out of round and still run rough.My saw grinder needs good wheels, no room for vibration in saw and planer blade sharpening.

I have a Baldor 8 inch bench grinder. Some of the industrial supply dealers will sell them below list. They are still expensive but worth every penny of it.

If you want to support the Chinese economy buy from Harbor Freight.

If you want to support the US economy buy a Baldor or another US brand.

I bought a Rockwell Delta grinder and it only lasted a couple of months. I replaced it with a Harbor Freight model and have been using it for years.

I picked up a near new Baldor on Craig's list for $50. It had been used to polish some plastic then stored. It is now bolted to the floor of my new shop.
baldor%20front.jpg

I have a Dayton sold by Grainger. I bought it used about 8 years ago. You can turn it on and when you cut it off it will take 4 or 5 minutes for it to coast to a stop. I paid $ 275 for it though.

It depends on why it shakes. One person mention the fairly common gaps between the wheel and shaft etc. That requires you to use matching accsories with your grinder. That is a very common reason for a shaking grinder. A less common, but frequent enough is the number of poles. The fewer poles the more vibration. If you have a two, or even a three pole motor driving the grinder you will get some vibration. If the grinder is powerfull enough to do your work and is a lower number of poles, you may want to simply isolate the shakes by taking some thich rubber gasket material and cutting out a gasket with bolt hole to go between the grinder and the bench. That will reduce some of the shakes.

JOB ,

While I don't know where Baldor is made ,but what I do know is that you'd be suprised at how many " American " made brands are really made in China or Mexico or made in America from Chinese parts . Same for any of the other big name brands . Or maybe you do know ??

Whizkid

does the grinder vibrate with the wheels off? wheels can be dressed, if out of round. what does it do with new wheels?

American brands may have foreign parts in them or may be made somewhere else. I would support a U.S. company before I would support something like JET. Chinese made stuff is known for there poor quality.

The Japanese cars were known for there poor quality until enough stupid Americans bought them. The Japanese were then able to take the profits and improve quality and the Japanese are still selling cars. The Chinese will do the same.

People can't figure out why high school grads and college grads can't find jobs. Everything in their house and driveway is made by a foreign company.

I bought a 7" Baldor 1800 rpm industrial grinder at an auction. Best $55 I have ever spent. Runs like a top. I think the one I have has a list price of $554.

If you keep your eyes open you can find deals on used industrial equipment at auctions. They show up on ebay also.

I alway judge a grinder by the tool rests. Sheet metal tool rests indicates that they cut corners. Cast tool rests indicate a better quality grinder. Usually the bearings are better in the cast iron tool rest models also.

HTH

Cliff(VA)
Baldor

Often, the wheels are out of phase (balance), but it can be fixed. If you mark both wheels in the same plane, then rotate one a quarter turn at a time you can usually dial in the balance fairly closely. Did this with my Baldor and it runs as smoothly as can be.

baldor2.jpg

(quoted from post at 17:06:21 02/29/12)
Often, the wheels are out of phase (balance), but it can be fixed. If you mark both wheels in the same plane, then rotate one a quarter turn at a time you can usually dial in the balance fairly closely. Did this with my Baldor and it runs as smoothly as can be.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back