Best 4WD/MFWD Loader Tractor

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
In the 50 to 80 HP range, what would you consider the best 4WD/MFWD Tractor with a gear transmission but is setup well for loader work? For example, Power Reverser, Syncronized Forward to Reverse, etc. These tractors normally get alot of hard work and abuse. Which do you think is pretty bullet proof?

By the way, I see tractors called "4WD" and "MFWD", is there a difference? From my understanding those called Front Wheel assist have a hydraulic assist. Corret?

Paul in WI
 
I always thought 4WD was used only when the front and back tires were the same size and all driven all the time; whereas MFWD had some sort of gearbox that allowed for disengaging the front wheels when unneeded (so the same as FWA I think.) Or MFWD happened as an option but 4WD is a standard feature. Come to think of it, I'm not so sure!!!
 
Been running a NH TN70A for a friend recently with Quicke C20 loader, only got 220 hours on it, but I'm impressed with it. Lots of guts(pulling a NH 791 spreader), convenient, clutchless reverser, only complaint is a little, itty bitty fuel tank. I'd hate to work on the engine, though every is mashed in so tightly. Friend bount a Duetz of the same size and style and it's been back to the shop a ridiculous number of times. Haven't driven it. Heard good things of same size Massey as well. JD very variable, tons of them around and everything from great to sucks.
Good Luck
 
Paul, do you need a PTO?

I didn't, had similar needs, ended up with a Cat industrial loader. Doing serious loader work with a farm tractor puts a lot of strain on the front end. I've rebuilt several.

Industrial loaders don't have this problem as they're solely designed for loader work. No geared transmissions, but I learned to adapt. And absolutely love the tractor.
 
Kubota or maybe a slightly older New Holland. For Kubota maybe an 8540 0r 7040 although the 8540 has 2 speed pto available and bigger hydraulic system. For Ford a 4630,5640 or 5635. Atleast I think those are the model #.I always thought MFWD stood for mechanical front wheel drive and was the same thing as MFWA or mechanical front wheel assist. As far as i know 4wd is basically for tractors with the same size wheel front and back such as articulated tractors or TV 140/145 0r 9030
 
Theres a lot of tractors in that category, every major brand has some entrys. The older Kubota M9000/M8200 are proven but the new Mxx40 series may prove reliable too. If you have some money the bigger frame kubotas such as m105 or 95x are sure nice and heaviers like the other brands.

The Nh's have lots of electrical problems but they are sure nice. Cab is small on the TN's but thats my own peeve. The TS, TL are both fairly decent but some people claim the TL's front axles are weak. I can't recommend the new TD, looks like a chinese tractor with NH cab. Rough castings etc.

JD have several good models.

Case have some rebadged NH's that are good. The older CX's are pricey here but work well. Mccormick has some models that are getting popular too.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top