Best Tractor in the World

RedMF40

Thought I'd share this recent conversation:

I was in my friend Helgi’s shop here in Iceland. He’s an excellent welder and fabricator, does a lot of really involved projects and the finish always looks great.

“Do you want to know what the best tractor in the world is?” He asked.
“Sure.” This was apropos of nothing, since we hadn’t even been talking about tractors. But if there was ONE tractor that could sit on top of the mountain, I wanted to know what it was.

“It is the Massey-Ferguson 100 series,” he said. And a dramatic pause for emphasis:
“In particular—the 135.”

"Ok."

So there it is—the secret has been released from a tiny corner of Iceland: Best tractor in the world is the MF 135. Oh, it has to have the Perkins diesel, otherwise it’s not the best. You heard it here first!

Don't know if it's true or not,but it sounds better when somebody with an accent says it.

The Icelander's choice is a good one. I think there are at least a million best tractors. Each one is best at a specialty task in certain soil with certain
climate for certain crops. Some are near impossible to operate but so low on required service that totally unskilled operator/owners can call them the best.
Others are so specific to a task that no other is considered. I am happy with the acceptability of tractors I have owned and fit into my needs. Were they
expediently perfect. Jim

MF-135---
I have owned MANY tractors and I would have to agree, as least for what I used it for.

A worthy candidate to be sure, arguably the best tractor under 40 Hp, but to me. the world's best tractor would be the one you would have if you could only have one tractor to do everything you need a tractor for. It would have to be versatile, reliable, and you would still have to be able to get parts and service. Big enough for heavy work, yet small enough to be nimble for chores, etc. Able to mount a loader. Deal with all types of field conditions. To me, the Deere 4450 MFWD would be the closest to that ideal. Deere, is still in business as Deere with lots of dealers and not bought out by conglomerates. Other tractors such as IH 856, IH 1066, Ford TW10, Oliver 1850, Ford 5000, etc. might fit the ideal as "best" tractors in and of as far as they go as the basic tractor, but the dealer service network and parts availability still has to be current and adequate to insure your running the tractor indefinitely into the future.. So there, folks, I've run up the Deere flag, so fire away . .

I have a 135 gas here now. My problem with the Fergy's is the multipower. I would much rather have a comparable Ford, 3000 no matter whether the Massey had the diesel and with or without the multipower. Best may be a 4020, but whatever works for me and I don't have to make a payment is okay.

For me its my Oliver 1365 2WD,bought it for $500 with a loader.Have used it regularly for about 15 years and put about 2000 hrs on it with very little up keep.

As much of an IH fanboy as I am, he may be right.

I have seen more of those MF 100 series, just beat to death, and they still start up and go the next day. Just nothing left of them but four tires and a steering wheel, and they keep going. Around where I grew up the 180 was a popular model, and the old Massey often ended up being the scraper tractor in the freestall barn. All the sheet metal would be rotted off the things, a slab of hay for a seat... They'd fire right up and run as long as you kept fuel and oil in 'em, and they only came out of the barn when a tire rotted off or a major casting would finally rot out.

Well great. I just told a buddy last week to look at the Massey 100 series of tractors for his property and now Iceland goes and declares them to the next big thing! Now prices are going to go through the roof on these tractors just when my friend goes looking for one.

If I've said it once, I've said it, well, maybe twice: I blame Iceland for this mess.

By the way. Since I've looked everywhere else for it, have you Iceland guys seen my 10 MM socket up there?

Grouse

I wouldn't worry about that. Massey made about a billion of them. Just look for the biggest heap of absolute junk you can find that looks like it may have been a tractor. It was probably a Massey 135 or 180 at some point in its life, and is still serviceable.

I couldn't agree more. I love my 135 and will miss it when I finally sell everything before I move to retirement house in the Hills. No need for tractor there as will not have room for it.

Mine has the perkins gas engine.

Have a lot of people that would love to get their hands on it, so may make some money on it when time comes.
Love the multi power on it also.

You would be surprised how many FEET a metric socket will fly on a bad day in the shop! ( But to Iceland??? )

and the Indians swore by the horse because that's all they had.

Very good, but not the best. A ford 3000 will best it for one. Both are 38 pto hp. both had great diesels.

The super dexta would be an equal to the mh135 other than the power steering. It had a ford built perkins. (block built under license)

I tend to agree....built for many years, even blatantly copied by some off shore
manufacturers. Now, someone mentioned a JD 4455 MFWD as a best all round
tractor....well it's a darn good machine but really, just a bit big for a lot of
chore type jobs isn't it?
Ben

I don't tell this much. I was born in 67
and the first tractor i drove was a MF135.
I just knew it was red. When the owner of
the peach farm passed away, i waited. Ten
years after he passed, it needed some work.
His son parked it and bought a Ford with a
loader and more hp. Sat for 3 years and had
4 flats. It started for me with some fresh
diesel and a battery. I bought it and did a
little work on it. Went thru the engine
from radiator cap to throwout bearing.
Everything between those was factory spec
when i was done.has 200 hours since the
rebuild and starts like new when 30 degrees
outside.it has been good to me so far. And
its NOT for sale until I am dead.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back