Best Way to Paint FORD Script on Hood & Not Mess Up

RTR

I did post this in the Paint & Bodywork Section, but since this is Ford specific, thought I'd drop it here since most of you are probably well-versed in what to do in this situation.

What is the best method to paint the raised FORD script on the hood without messing up my paint job? I have a few ideas on what to do, but I'm scared I'll mess up my paint job. haha. I don't want to use decals and want to paint it.

I want the best way to paint the red on there and it look full and glossy against the Medium Ford Gray? My fenders don't have the script letters but I do want to either paint or decal those I think. Just worried about the Hood for now.

mvphoto111199.jpg

mvphoto111201.jpg

mvphoto111200.jpg

I initially tried the decal, but found it did not fill in the complete raised area. I scrapped that idea, got some fine line tape and proceeded to tape off everything I didn't want red! Took about an hour to
tape off each script. Used same paint (sprayed) as the red on the casting, and it turned out good.

(quoted from post at 23:31:51 10/30/23) I used artist brushes to paint Fordson . Take your time , it was enjoyable, it will look fantastic

Should I scuff the letters with a scotchbrite first? I want the red letter finish to be as slick as the hood.

(quoted from post at 08:44:27 10/30/23) I did post this in the Paint & Bodywork Section, but since this is Ford specific, thought I'd drop it here since most of you are probably well-versed in what to do in this situation.

What is the best method to paint the raised FORD script on the hood without messing up my paint job? I have a few ideas on what to do, but I'm scared I'll mess up my paint job. haha. I don't want to use decals and want to paint it.

I want the best way to paint the red on there and it look full and glossy against the Medium Ford Gray? My fenders don't have the script letters but I do want to either paint or decal those I think. Just worried about the Hood for now.

mvphoto111199.jpg

mvphoto111201.jpg

mvphoto111200.jpg

You might try artists masking fluid. It's a fluid that artists brush on with a small brush for jobs similar to your FORD script, only on canvas. Brush it on all around the script. It should be easier than trying taping it all off. The stuff just rubs off when dry, kind of like rubber cement. If you can't find it around you, you can always get it on Amazon.

I sprayed red base on the script then the gray over it and carefully wet sanded with 360# and a foam sanding block. Wasn t quite careful enough and had to touchup with a small art brush.

Too late for my method.
Paint the letters. Let dry.
Covers letters with Desetin.
Paint hood. Let dry.
Remove Desitin gently.
Red letters pop out.

As in Ed's photo with the best artists brush shape . . .

Because your hood is not on the tractor, you have the advantage of being able to sit with the fender hanging on your knees or something so that the "Ford" surface is level with your thighs.

The point being so that you can then anchor your forearm and elbow so as to keep the steadiest hand. Makes all the difference in the world when doing the edges.

I'd use a soft full bristle brush that comes to a point, not a flat brush.

Another P.S.
With this method and also with your paint supply in a much small container . . .
you can really steady your brush hand by holding your left hand up under that wrist to cradle it.

This post was edited by Tall T on 11/03/2023 at 03:18 am.

(quoted from post at 17:37:37 11/02/23) As in Ed's photo with the best artists brush shape . . .

Because your hood is not on the tractor, you have the advantage of being able to sit with the fender hanging on your knees or something so that the "Ford" surface is level with your thighs.

The point being so that you can then anchor your forearm and elbow so as to keep the steadiest hand. Makes all the difference in the world when doing the edges.

Another P.S.
With this method and also with your paint supply in a much small container . . .
you can really steady your brush hand by holding your left hand up under that wrist to cradle it.

[b:04a1f5e986]If you watch any artist shows, you will see them use a steady stick for delicate work. You left hand will hold the stick with the end laying on the piece being painted. You can then rest your hand with the brush against the stick. [/b:04a1f5e986]

fBakmQdl.jpg

[/quote]
This post was edited by Caryc on 11/03/2023 at 09:59 am.

All great information. Thank you all. I'll update you once I get to that point (hopefully within a week or two. Got to get these leaks fixed first!

(quoted from post at 12:55:14 11/03/23)
(quoted from post at 17:37:37 11/02/23) As in Ed's photo with the best artists brush shape . . .

Another P.S.

[b:4c387aa550]If you watch any artist shows, you will see them use a steady stick for delicate work. You left hand will hold the stick with the end laying on the piece being painted. You can then rest your hand with the brush against the stick. [/b:4c387aa550]

fBakmQdl.jpg

This post was edited by Caryc on 11/03/2023 at 09:59 am.
[/quote]hat makes a lot of sense!

Sign painters brushes are not artist brushes Go to Dick Black and ask for a Kafka lettering quill. Scotch tape is used to mask any straight lines .

Attachments

• ford tailgate 004.JPG
    ford tailgate 004.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 3
I did post this in the Paint & Bodywork Section, but since this is Ford specific, thought I'd drop it here since most of you are probably well-versed in what to do in this situation.

mvphoto111199.jpg

mvphoto111201.jpg

mvphoto111200.jpg
Trial & Error. There are a few methods of painting the raised "FORD" script on the hood. Search the Archives. Fenders didn't add the script until 1950. Those vinyl adhesive decals they sell don't quite cover the lettering but from a distance you can't tell. Some have hand painted the lettering on but takes a lot of patience and a steady hand. Another method is to mask off the area any part you don't want getting red on the grey and outlining around the lettering with grease or Vaseline. Then you you can spray the red on and when dry wipe off the grease. Or, vice versa. Spray the entire FORD area red. When dry, mask the top of lettering with grease and then paint the rest grey. FYI: The CYCLONE AIR PRECLEANER was not red. It is the same FORD MED GREY as all other sheet metal is.

Tim Daley (MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back