Biodiesel in JD 855

Matt B

Member
Has anyone ran either B5 or B20 biodiesel in any of the late 90"s compact tractors with Yanmar engines? I have heard that Yanmar approves use of Biodiesel up to B20 for all of their engines, and didn"t know if anyone is running it in their equipment with any luck, or lack of luck!

Thanks,
Matt
 
If it's commercial biodiesel WHAT bad effects do you think it might POSSIBLY have for the little JapDeere, other than being more prone to gelling in cold weather?
 
It will clean the inside of your tank during the first few tankfulls. It may require a filter change or two at the beginning.

If you have already been running ULS fuel. I think you will see no effects.
 
I heard from one person that the rubber lines may not take the biodiesel, but I don"t think that is quite true. I have been running ULS in it, and there is less than 300 hrs on the tractor.

Thanks,
Matt
 
I have a friend that works for Ford Motor Comp.
He is a diesel engineer there and FMC specifically says for the dealers to NOT put Biodiesel in the tanks due to it corroding the fuel lines. I wouldnt use it unless you are using an entire tankful in a week. How much are you saving with a JD855, It has a 10 gallon tank at the most right? I will not use Biodiesel in my new Deere.
 
If it is commercially prepared you should have no problem other than having to replace a fuel filter. Here at Cornell they have switched to B5 in winter B20 in summer and it gets used in everything, buses, trucks, tractors, lawn mowers.
 
i will not use b5 or b20 in my tractors, when i used the fuel it clogged up the filters and left a mess in side the fuel tanks. maybe you can get by using it if you run it totally out of the tank before you park it. i let my tractors set all winter with the bio fuel in them and in the spring it took hours of work cleaning up the mess.
 
I doubt it would hurt it as the neighbor ran gas in their 850 until it died then put diesel back in it and bleed it out and away it went. Some people have all the luck.

I have heard the bio fuel is not for those that let them sit.
 
If you are in a warm climate and want to possibly deal with it cleaning out the fuel system,and the filter replacements go for it. If you are experiencing temps in the teens or below and depend on the tractor for feeding or snow removal, I would advise against it,because it tends to gell at a higher temp than non bio fuel.
 
In my opinion people worry way too much about bio diesel. Most act like it came from a foreign planet.

For years now I've been running a concoction that people tell me will kill any tractor, but haven't lost one yet. Plow snow with one the rest sit all winter.

500 gallon tank
16oz of PowerService Bio-cide
2 gallons of PowerService Arctic Express
40 gallons of used motor oil
440 gallons of B20 bio diesel blend.

Looks nasty, works great. And you never have to worry about anyone stopping wanting to "borrow" fuel. They are all scared.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top