Block serial number problems?

I have attached a pic of the serial number on the side of the engine block. Can someone please tell me what I have...or give me an "a,b,c" on how to use the serial/year table..
Also there are some number below the serial number( smaller from mid to the right) any ideas?...someone
playing games?
Thanks for looking.
Cheers
B

Attachments

• 20240412_162514.jpg
    20240412_162514.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
I have attached a pic of the serial number on the side of the engine block. Can someone please tell me what I have...or give me an "a,b,c" on how to use the serial/year table..
Also there are some number below the serial number( smaller from mid to the right) any ideas?...someone
playing games?
Thanks for looking.
Cheers
B
9N15753 would make it (the engine, at least) a 1940 9N tractor.

I corrected my error (apparently was "seeing" one more digit than what is there).

Thanks for the "heads up".

Last edited:
i agree, it's a 1940 engine. and i have to say, i can *NOT* (edit) remember any other set of ford engine serial numbers stamped that clearly. normally, much squinting and words considered inappropriate among women and children are required.

congrats, and welcome to the club with not many members with a model that old, they get rare back then. enjoy!

the numbers below the serial were probably added by a dealer or such at a later date after some service work. i'd just be happy i had a clear, legible serial number and run with that :)

9N15753 would make it (the engine, at least) a 1944 2N tractor.
i think you're mistaking the star on the end as an extra digit maybe? iirc, it actually inticates that the thin (.040") sleeves were used in it.

or give me an "a,b,c" on how to use the serial/year table..

serial number tables typically only list the first serial number for the model year. anything lower that that is a previous year. find the 2 numbers yours is between , et voila!

The serial # indicates that is an early 1940 model, the grease zerts on the front spindles are probably facing forward, I think they put them on the back side in 1942.

playing games?
Thanks for looking.
Cheers
B
Sometimes when an engine is replaced the mechanic will try to stamp on the serial number of the tractor before the engine was changed.
You might be able to get a better identification by features if that is the case. See Tractor Identification and History By: John Smith of Old Ford Tractors

The serial # indicates that is an early 1940 model, the grease zerts on the front spindles are probably facing forward, I think they put them on the back side in 1942.
Well that would be the problem..the grease fitting are not facing forward, as I thought they should be...could be a "part" built tractor..have to do some more looking at the machine.
Cheers
B

i think you're mistaking the star on the end as an extra digit maybe? iirc, it actually inticates that the thin (.040") sleeves were used in it.
That would be great!..but sadly not.. the 3 in half way on top of the star..but it would be nice!

OK gals and guys..is there any pics that would help out to help I'd it better...just let me know, and I'll take some more pics. Rainy out today..but I don't mine.
Cheers
B

Last edited:
Sometimes when an engine is replaced the mechanic will try to stamp on the serial number of the tractor before the engine was changed.
You might be able to get a better identification by features if that is the case. See Tractor Identification and History By: John Smith of Old Ford Tractors
Thank you sir! Great read..have to go take another look for more #...this tractor has been painted 3-4 times , looks like the first color was an industrial yellow...then Ford blue..and now Grey and red (8n colors). Could be why it's still around..if it was used on a township..roads..etc

Here are more pics..I put them in the wrong from.. again.
Yes it has a aluminum dash, but hardly any number anywhere..not in the lift arms..took pics of the ones i could find..on the hydraulic base and the manifold.

Attachments

• 20240413_143724.jpg
    20240413_143724.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240413_143441.jpg
    20240413_143441.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240413_143553.jpg
    20240413_143553.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20240413_143735.jpg
    20240413_143735.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240413_143914.jpg
    20240413_143914.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240413_144553.jpg
    20240413_144553.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240413_144608.jpg
    20240413_144608.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
The problem is I bought this tractor ( as a parts tractor)for around the farm....
And we'll if it a 1940..then I can't destroy it..it was bought as a part tractor for my 2n..was told it was a 2n..never really got a good look at it.. the rim was bad on my other 2n...so i bought the whole tractor for the tires and rims...I guess it will be another project for later on down the road..
I'm in Ontario Canada...if anyone want to take a look..etc..near Kingston.
All are welcome..
Cheers
B

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back