Blue smoke, worn guides?

Hi guys,

Have a AD3.152 diesel with ~3k hours. No blowby issues. Starts/runs fine. Want your thoughts on the following:

1. When started cold, there is a little black smoke that slowly disappears after about 30 seconds. Not real worried about that.

2. If the tractor is hot and idling and then I rev the throttle, it will give a quick puff of blue smoke (not real heavy) but does it pretty consistently.

3. If rpms held high, no noticeable smoke.

When I had the intake manifold off recently I noticed there is some caked oil/misc in the intake ports. It easily wiped off with brake cleaner on a rag. That makes me think intake guide is worn? Is this even worth foolin with? Typical of an engine like this for the amount of hours? I'm not very familiar with these engines.

thanks,

Drew

That engine has an oil flow adjustment on the rocker arm shaft. It MIGHT be set higher than needed. The shaft is rotated for more/less oil to the rocker arms, should be
shown in the repair manual.

(quoted from post at 18:43:06 07/19/22) That engine has an oil flow adjustment on the rocker arm shaft. It MIGHT be set higher than needed. The shaft is rotated for more/less oil to the rocker arms, should be
shown in the repair manual.

Thanks for the info. I feel like a dummy that I didnt take any pics of the head but I do recall some threaded hole(s) on the roof of the intake runners that looked wet. Are those known to leak?

Does the oil flow fall out of adjustment? Do people intentionally increase it for more oiling?

Snapped a quick pic from the front of the rocker shaft

thanks,

Drew
mvphoto94867.jpg

This post was edited by Drew.Styduhar on 07/19/2022 at 09:23 pm.

I got the service manual from Jensales. Found the section about the rocker shaft. Text says to set slot 30 degrees left of vertical It also says that minimal flow is with slot set vertically.

So if "normal" flow is 30 degree left of vertical and minimal flow is vertical, what the heck is going on with my setup since the slot is right of vertical?

Is the service manual wrong? It doesnt specify diesel vs gas for this information but the pic looks the same as my rocker setup.

thanks,

Drew

mvphoto95269.jpg

mvphoto95270.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back