IH 826 Hydro Blue Smoke

WC Farms

New User

cvphoto128393.jpg

Got an 826 hydro that has been brought back to life after sitting 2 years. Did some work to it, got rid of the ether injection and what not as well as put the panels back on. When driving or when under load at certain rpm it will shoot a stream of blue smoke. Its more noticeable when the tractor is low idle working around the yard and disappears when you rev it up. Although I had it full throttle on the road and every once in a while itd shoot a bit out but seems to clean up more once the tractors been running. I dont know if this is old diesel left in the tank or dirty or worn injectors would just like to know if anyone else has had this. Thanks.

My personal observation, I'd take it out and put it to work.
Use it but don't abuse it. Make'er snort a bit.
You say it seems to be getting better?
As you say, old fuel from sitting?
Fill'er up with some fresh fuel, and maybe a glug or two of a fuel additive,
go to work and see what happens.
I've got a Ford 8?? diesel that I think I'm gonna have to pull the injection pump
and get it worked over.

Get some quality fuel injector cleaner like Power Service, Howe's, Stanadyne, or whatever your favorite is, and give it a double-triple dose. Take it out and work it. Driving up and down the road is not working it. You need a good PTO or drawbar load to really make the governor kick in.

Pour in some injector cleaner and go pull the snot out of it for a day or so.Get it good and warm for several hours. These germans dont like to idle,they tend to 'wet stack'(slobber raw unburned fuel).Dont worry,work it.

Go hook a big disc or a plow to it and work it's a off it for a few days and it will probably clean up . Then don't idle it around when using in the yard. It does not have to be wide open but pick it up to the 1000 mark or so and shut it off if it is going to idle for extended periods. Idling is a bout as bad as you can do to those old diesels.

Blue smoke is perfectly normal when the operating temperature is low. All of my older diesels do it. When you start down the road you have a load on it for only a few seconds as it comes up to speed. They are built to take a heavy load for hour after hour. Running without load is severe service because it can't come up to temp.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back