BN with intermittent shutting down problem

About three times lately while mowing my BN would act like it was running out of fuel. First time I managed to get back to the shed and before adding fuel decided to check the level as I really thought I should have had enough to mow the back yard.

Sure enough there was at least two inches in the tank when I measured with clean dowel I keep just for that. Stated tractor back up and it ran good and finished mowing.

Next couple times it happened I kept going as it only acted like that for a few seconds then ran good the rest of the lawn. At least one of those time I did look in the tank to see if there was something that would be restricting the flow and bottom of tank looked nice and clean.

Well today with all of maybe a 50 foot by 6 foot strip left to mow it quit again. Cranked a good amount before it fired up and ran good to finish and back to shed. This time I again looked in the tank and saw what looked like blades of grass laying on the bottom of the tank near the fuel fitting hole.

Well I'm a bit on the fussy side so could not imagine grass getting in the fuel tank. So I gabbed one of my flexible finger thins and after a few tries managed to pick a couple of the "blades of grass" out. Once out in the open I could see they were not green grass but little strips of the sealant from when I lined the tank a few years back.

Not wanting to be draining gas on a hot machine that just spent a couple hours mowing on a warm day decided to wait till morning to drain tank and remove sentiment bowl to see if the inlet to that is also partially plugged. The glass bowl looks nice and clean as always but there could be some stuff up inside by the shutoff valve.

There is likely to be. Small pieces can also get into the fitting screen at the carb fuel inlet. Jim

Maybe do as I had to do >>> shone a light in to it; discovered floating material; this was cutting off the flow;
""SO took the tank off: tuned it on end so filler neck was on the low side [ bottom ] inserted a water hose turned on the water and observed the out put. >>>!!! DIRT ETC came out. continued till clear clean water. Fully emptied out any trace of water. pored in a part gallon of camp fuel naptha, swished it around, dumped it out, and let stand open for a few hours [ 1 or 2]. Re installed and re filled with clean fuel.
>>> Now no stalling or difficulty in re starting. BEFORE the tractor would run for a short while then quit and would take up to 3/4 hr before it would re start.
>>>> The stuff in the tank was my difficulty. <<<
""""JUST SOME THOUGHTS"" mayor may or help, just thoughts to ponder.
Wm.

have your wrench ready when it stops take off the drain plug on the bottom of the carb and if gas pours out
you do not have a fuel problem. The shut off on the sediment bowl can get over the yrs full of fines that slow
down gas flow.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back