Brake is frozen/locked up

vac12

New User
I just got a VAC12, 1953 vintage that I am trying to get operational again. However, the right rear brake is frozen/locked up. I have looked at the parts and manuals and it appears there are at least 2 different brakes on these.

I have a roll pin that I am having a terribly hard time removing. I have drilled, heated, used penetrating oil, hammered all to no avail.

First question- I assume this pin needs to be removed before I remove the cover? Can someone confirm?

Second question- how can I remove this pin?

Pics attached showing the front, side and rear. TIA.

mvphoto106024.jpg

mvphoto106025.jpg

mvphoto106026.jpg

This post was edited by vac12 on 05/23/2023 at 10:16 am.

I do not believe that pin needs to be taken out to remove the brake cover, take the 4 nuts off or bolts out and see,

Thanks for the reply. I have removed the bolts. I can move it slightly outward but I am unsure
1- if it requires this pin to be removed and then the arm removed, or
2- if the pads are holding it very tight and I should just use a BFH.

This phot found on here seems to be the system I have. How does VT-5082, the round rod attached to the inner side? If it is attached then I would think the roll pin needs to be removed.

mvphoto106029.jpg

yes that pin has to come out. that shaft stays put till u get the cover off. the last pic shows it is worn and loss on the shaft. might have
to heat it. use the proper punch the same size as the roll pin and a good 2 lb. ball peen hammer. even air pounch around the arm to
vibrate it loose. then vibrate it out with an air punch.

There is no reason to remove that pin or lever at this point. The whole assembly including band {shoe} comes off with the cover. Everything is attached to the inside of the cover. There
are two dowel pins that locate the housing that may be keeping it from coming off. They are located in the center at the top and bottom. If you can get something behind the housing, you
should be able to wiggle it off. Just bring it out about the same everywhere instead of trying to force one side off. Lee

when you get the cover off n you need that pin out set it where
you can use a short pipe ,center pin hole over pipe get a great
grade of punch have somebody hold the cover on that pipe steady
get a bfh and HIT THAT PUNCH LIKE YOU HATE IT . smacking
it like your doing now can crack the housing.

Thanks to all. I ll try removing it like was said above. Once it s off I ll get it removed somehow, easier to do at that point. Will report back with the outcome.

Working on this currently. It s moving outward. There is a larger silverfish pin at the top that faces outward. On the side there is another smaller pin, you can barely see it in my second photo on the right. Does this need to be removed or will that rod slide out?

I have the cover about an inch off all around but it s still not letting go.

Success, thanks to all. For future folks, neither pin needs to be removed that I questioned about, it slides out as a complete unit as stated above. I finally got out my crowbar and it made quick work of it. Pics show the condition. Going into the parts washer/rust remover and then will reassess. If you see anything beside pads and maybe some springs, feel free to chime in.

Lee, good to know where spares are if I need something.

mvphoto106053.jpg

mvphoto106054.jpg

mvphoto106055.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back