brake shoes

1951G

I am getting my unstyled B brake shoes relined and had a question. After removing the shoes from the drum, it looks like the lining only covers part of the shoe with about a couple inches that isn't covered. The local brake shop said they use a bonding between the lining and shoe so there'd be no use for the rivets. Could I have the entire length of the shoe relined without any problems? I thought by doing this, there'd be more surface area touching the drum when applying the brake thus making it better. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Field Service Bulletin 147-S (May 1944) announced the shortening of the brake facing as a solution to sudden lock-up of a spinning wheel when the brake was appplied. 'Too much shock on the transmission! From the pivot end, the facing is cut back to just 1/2-inch short of the next rivet hole. Toughly 1/3 of its length is removed.

If you want a copy of the announcement, write me. My email is open. (PatB)

I knew there was probably a reason but wasn't sure what that might be. Thanks again for the update and information.

I tried using the longer lining on my 1945 B and then the drum would not fit on so I had to cut it off.

Interesting about that bulletin ? Wonder why they didn't say with that decision ? I know of a 520 and a few 620's that had brakes tear up stuff from grabbing.

Mike,
I think I'll be going with the shorter version of the lining based on what you and Pat have said. I have enough problems I guess without creating more. Thanks again for your help and response.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back