break in oil

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Years ago everyone recommended using non detergent oil for breaking in a motor. I don't hear much about it any more. Does anyone still use it?
 
If you're talking new as in a new car or tractor, they come from the factory with the proper break in oil. If you're talking about an old motor you just overhauled then I would probably ask the best in the business, for example, for an old Ford, I would ask Tom Armstrong at external_link. They remanufacture thousands of old Ford tractors from '39 up to the 60's. I remember him talking about it but not well enough to try to quote. Also, Stan Stojney in Mosinee, Wis (has a website) would be able to make a recommendation. They reman everything but mostly Ford.
 
I use the same oil that I will use in the engine after break-in. Years ago the recommendation was to substitute 1 quart of ATF for the regularly used oil.
 
Years ago they used cotton cord tires and asbestos brake linings you want to go back to the olds it OK with me but I prefer using 10w 30 or 10w40 in my old tractors. I use 10w50 in the case LA because of it big sloppy bearings.
Walt

PS its real hard to find non-detergent oil just because it says 30 wt doesn't mean its non-detergent oil. Check the label real good.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top