Broke and need fixing

nick 0626

New User
Hello , first post and I need help. I need some ideas as to what could be the problem with my 9n. Up until a few days ago my tractor started right up every time but now unless I jump the tractor I can't get it running. I've replaced the carb, generator, ignition coil, battery multiple times and much more. Everything was replaced prior to the problem tho

Hello , first post and I need help. I need some ideas as to what could be the problem with my 9n. Up until a few days ago my tractor started right up every time but now unless I jump the tractor I can't get it running. I've replaced the carb, generator, ignition coil, battery multiple times and much more. Everything was replaced prior to the problem tho
What happens when you try without jumping it?

Check Amp draw on your starter, if they are bad they can draw so many amps there isn't enough left for the ignition.

First off trouble shoot then parts NEVER the other way around or your likely to cause more problem then you fix. Good chance your starter is drawing to many amps so taking away from the spark. Take a spark plug and gap it out to as close to 1/4 inch as you can and use it to check spark at each plug wire. You should get a blue/white spark that jumps that gap. Yellow spark or don't jump that gap starter is likely to be going bad

First off trouble shoot then parts NEVER the other way around or your likely to cause more problem then you fix. Good chance your starter is drawing to many amps so taking away from the spark. Take a spark plug and gap it out to as close to 1/4 inch as you can and use it to check spark at each plug wire. You should get a blue/white spark that jumps that gap. Yellow spark or don't jump that gap starter is likely to be going bad
I said everything was replaced prior to the problem. I haven't done anything since but try and Diagnosis. Do you know how many amps the starter should be drawing. As far as I can tell it's original to the tractor

gauge. Link to source

In 30 degree temps, probably 200 to 250. In 50 degree weather probably 175. A starter draw amp gauge is a modest tool. It is mearly pressed against the battery cable (or generator wire (follow the directions). Jim

gauge. Link to source

In 30 degree temps, probably 200 to 250. In 50 degree weather probably 175. A starter draw amp gauge is a modest tool. It is mearly pressed against the battery cable (or generator wire (follow the directions). Jim
But it is a device few common folks own. I've been an E.T. in the Navy and an eletiction SP spell checking cannot figure it out but yet I do not and have never had an amp meter that will rad that type of amp draw

All gasoline engines require a rich fuel-air mixture when starting cold, so if the ignition and amp draw check out check for fuel delivery. Your choke need to be working properly, and the fuel level in the float bowl needs to be high enough. A quick way to check for a fuel problem is to look at a spark plug. After cranking for a little while without starting the plugs should be wet with gas.

So starting with the assumption the tractor starts when you jump it and hasn’t been converted to 12V. So you have fuel and spark.

How fast does it crank?

Most common 6v problem is the battery connections followed by the battery’s cca’s are too low. 6v systems draw a lot of current so you really need clean connections and thick battery cables. 12v cables won’t cut it as they aren’t thick enough - low resistance 6 v cables. Fine stranded 100 percent copper welder cable works the best and the thicker the better. Also, keep the cables as short as you can.

I’ve done the up the battery to 8v that works somewhat but feel it’s a waste of time so just go to the 12v conversion now. The 6v starter actually works better with 12v.

I said everything was replaced prior to the problem. I haven't done anything since but try and Diagnosis. Do you know how many amps the starter should be drawing. As far as I can tell it's original to the tractor
You probably don't have the correct tool on hand to measure Amps anyway, and besides, nobody knows how many Amps it's supposed to draw. Basically, they draw what they draw until it's too much, then they won't start.

Put a Voltmeter on the battery and crank the engine. The voltage will drop when you crank the engine, the key is in how much. If it's much below 5V, the coil won't produce sufficient spark to start the engine.

It would not hurt to have the starter overhauled if you have a good auto electric shop in the area. They will test for burned windings, clean up the commutator, install new bushings/bearings, new brushes. You could also try a new aftermarket starter but make sure you keep the original around so if you do find someone who will overhaul it for you, you can.

Auto Gas engines are less than 200 amps
Auto diesel less than 250 amp are considered ok
low compression tractors probably much less
some higher with low outside temperature and viscosity of engine oil ,

This may not be the issue, but things to consider
poor grounds
battery cables to small diameter, corrosion on cables
6 volt battery group size to small . My dealer told me that he did well on Fords trade ins , not starting because of to small of replacement battery because one reason correct group battery not purchased because of cost ,
just some thoughts suggested

Back to the basics: Remove, inspect and clean all connections to/from the battery, including ground cables. Charge the battery and have it tested. Then come back and tell us a little more about your tractor, still 6v? generator?
Do you have a basic test light or VOM?
What were the symptoms at the beginning of the current problem? Slow crank, or no start with ok cranking (before the battery ran down?).
really hard to troubleshoot remotely and we need as much info as you can provide

When you replaced the coil you didn't get one with an internal resistor did you? If your still on 6v you need a 6v coil. If you got one with an internal resistor, or installed a resistor, you won't get enough spark without a 12v jump.

Jon, I am learning things about Fords. The 9N has one of those “Henry’s better ideas” front mount distributors. A common automotive can type coil does not fit on them. But both 6 and 12 volt versions of the coils for them are available. To get the wrong one would have to be kind of intentional.

But it is a device few common folks own. I've been an E.T. in the Navy and an eletiction SP spell checking cannot figure it out but yet I do not and have never had an amp meter that will rad that type of amp draw
The meter is cheap, They work by magnetic induction and have two guide brackets on the back to correctly align the bat (or gen/alt output wires) with the meter movement. One just holds them against the wire to measure while cranking or charging. They are not intended to be +-2%, just maybe 10%, but that is all that is needed between a locked starter at 400 amps, and a spinning reasonable draw at 175. Of no gen output compared to 15 amps. I have two of them because, when I was working in a shop, the other mechanics often had one of them. Jim

I had two of those type ammeters; one for light currents, up to 30 amps or so, the other would measure up to 400 amps. Haven't used either since obtaining a clamp-on amp meter that does the same readings - 0-40 and 0-400 AC or DC.

No clue as to the issue at hand. zuhnc

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back