Up draft carb issues.

Tractor running like crap under load after I e done all this. Replaced all ignition components and put a new up draft carb on.
Ive went into the carb a few times to make sure no keys was clogged, tried doing a little carb main jet adjustments. But my feeling are its something with the carb, its actually icing up
Any ideas ?
cvphoto167959.jpg

That's common in cool/damp weather, and why intake manifold heat is needed to overcome the frosting. A preheat stove around the muffler to draw warm air int air cleaner inlet will help too. The old Massey-Harris 44 with it's long intake will frost over even worse than the pic shows.

Is that gauge showing fuel pressure? Does it hold pressure under load when running bad?
Edit: There is no edit feature in Classic View, you have to log in on Modern, then the ..Edit.. button shows in your post.

This post was edited by used red MN on 12/04/2023 at 08:22 am.

What are you working on? Looks like you bought an aftermarket zenith? What was the original?

Try adjusting the load needle. At full throttle ease it in and out until it's smooth. Then back it out until it barely stumbles. Then ease it in until it evens out and stop.

Yea its an after market carb. It had the original carb on it. The fuel cut off on the carb broke and was no longer available So new carb it is. When I first install it and all the new ignition parts it ran great. Then it started popping and cutting out. Ive went back through everything checking. Maybe something simple, like I got a bad plug and it only misses under load. Thats about the only think I havent checked, maybe another set of plugs would do the trick.
Just running out of ideas.

We don't know what model tractor you are working on. I'm not a fan of aftermarket carbs. Sometimes they cause more problems than one had in the first place. Need more specific information to comment further.

I see you replaced all the ignition components but verify spark, voltage, and wiring condition. I recently went though similar conditions and discovered the negative wire from my distributor to the coil was broken. Tractor would run for various amounts of time great then sputter or stop depending on how the wire vibrated.

10-4. Thanks for the info. Got to be something Im just over
looking!! Ive regapped the new points, a new ground wire, new
dist cap, new plug wires and new plugs. New carb. Lol. Im
pretty good with mechanics Ill just have to keep digging

perfectly normal on any up draft carb. its called the venturi effect. have u ever felt the carb in the summer time, it gets pretty cool also but not like that in the cold weather. they usually just get wet. the air goes through the venturi which speeds it up causing a vacuum to suck the fuel. this speeded up air cause this.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back