BROKEN KEY IN IGNITION SWITCH

Tiny crochet hook, or spring hook, or dental probe. Reach in and hook the side of the remains and tug it out. There's nearly always room at the top of the key teeth.

Gerald J.
 
Thanks Gerald, will look for an appropriate instrument and give it a try - it's quite loose until you try to get it out!
 
Remove the switch from the machine.
Smack it a few times on something hard to see if the key will fall out from its own momentum. If that doesn't work many switches have a tin plate covering the springs which hold the lock pins in place. If you pull the plate off the springs come loose and the key will fall out. Make sure you don't loose the parts you will be in worse shape than when you started.
John
 
If all else fails, you might take it to a locksmith. I understand that they deal with this problem often and have a small file specifically for this purpose; the teeth of the file being made so that it slides in easily but hooks into the key on the backpull.
 
Thanks guys for all the advice. What eventually worked was to remove the switch and then I pried the thinnest crochet needle that I could find in as far as I could until it jammed. I then gave it a few knocks until it jammed completely. Then I took my leatherman and gave it a good hard pull. The crochet needle came out and dislodged and also brought the broken piece of the key far enough out for me to grab it with the leatherman and pull it out completely. The crocket needle (cost $1) is still fine. Many thanks - any ideas with my new posting on starting problems/ ignition wiring?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top