Bull question

notjustair

A while back I bought a heifer and her bull calf at the sale.
He's a good looker and she's a good mama. It seems like he
will work out well as a replacement. I intended to start using
him a year from now. Plans have changed, though.

Both of the other bulls are currently in with the cows and fall calves. Near as I can tell there are only about three of those that still need to settle. The problem is that the bigger of the two bulls appears to have a broken front leg. I saw him fall off a cow a bit back - it was either then or on the last round of ice and snow we had. He's getting around but no doubt he is not breeding. He's only about two years, so I am going to pen and fatten him for burger.

My new purchase will be a year in the fall. That is when I want to start servicing the next round. Will he be able? I don't know that I have ever "raised" a bull. The one with the broken leg I bought at about a year and he did just fine. Would you put the year old in with 20 cows? That was my plan.

The only reason I am leary of it is because I am watching him <grow. If I bought him at a year I wouldn't worry about it. He just seems like such a little bugger. What say you?

Oh, had the last of the spring calves today. Woo hoo!

I've always used the rule of thumb 1 cow per month of age on the bull between the ages of 12 months to 36 months old. Seems to have worked for me.

Your "new" bull will be too young at an year old to settle 20 cows. He might not even be able to do a forth of that many at that age. I usually do not count in a bull until he is a good 18-24 months old. Even then I don't have him breed the full herd. Start the younger bulls out of the replacement heifers. It is easier on them both.

Just a though. Injured animals sometimes don't gain weight very fast or very efficiently. Extra weight could also make the injured bull's leg problems worse. Unless you have fresh grass available now, I wouldn't put much high priced feed into the injured bull. I'd feed it to an animal that will gain more efficiently. Your operation may be able to feed him out.

To avoid problems, I'd sell an injued bull "as-is" now rather than hang on to him and risk infection or loosing him.

You can have him tested before you turn him out, like others have said don't expect him to service a lot of cows, even if he tests good. Be sure to have a cleanup bull also. I have had experience with running one young bull with twenty cows, sometimes they need another bull to make them work, competition I guess is sometimes a good thing.

Buying a good service age (2 y/o) purebred bull of your chosen breed does not cost, it pays, it is never cost efficient to cut corners on your bulls. In a 20 cow herd 1 open cow is a 5% loss for the year right off the bat. Buying a bull based on epd's will get you the traits you want in your calves and low birth weight for calving ease etc. In almost all cases you can sell a good bull at 4-5 years old for as much or more than you paid originally.

I have to disagree with everyone. I have used lots of yearling bulls, and there have been times that they have bred over 80 cows in under 60 days. Depends on the bull, the breed, and how far out the cows are spread. If you have them locked up pretty tight, not spread out over a section of rough hills, I would guess a yearling would settle 30 without any trouble. A semen test is invaluable. Condition of the bull is imperative. He can't be to fat, nor can he be to thin.
I have a pair of Longhorn bulls that are just now turning 1, and they won't breed for atleast another 6 months. Angus, Limmy and a few of the other quick maturing breeds should be ready at a year. I know, depends on the blood lines of Limmy,

No cattle guys ever run there operations the same. Opinions vary, people have different ideas. I have been renting bulls for the past whole bunch of years. Has worked out really good for me, but afraid I'm going to have to buy my own this year. Its been really hard to find a bull to rent the last 2 or 3 years. I always figured a bull under 2 years old is questionable. Not only when they will begin to breed, but also how many cows they can handle. As for the broken leg, I have had deals like that pan out, but have also had deals like that go south.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back