Bush Hog Swaying Too Much

NoBite

I must be a doofus because I can t figure out how to keep my bush hog centered. It keeps wanting to sway to the right, causing a bar to rub the tire. What am I not doing right?

Here it is well centered.

Here is what happens when I turn the tractor and it sways.

Close up look at it rubbing.

(quoted from post at 11:05:30 08/10/23) I must be a doofus because I can t figure out how to keep my bush hog centered. It keeps wanting to sway to the right, causing a bar to rub the tire. What am I not doing right?

if you have the clearance for them, you can run a strut (on mine it's a piece of flat bar) from your ROPS supports (?) to the hitch pins. there's an issue lining up the attachment points so something doesn't break if you raise the lift, but i don't remember the details.

Those turn buckle type sway bars are the problem IMO. There is gong to be some give in those clevises no matter how tight you have them. We swapped ours out for
the ones with the u-shaped ends and pins and that stopped the problem.

correct.. tighten the left turn buckle till there is NO play to hold it from going right and center the shredder. May have to loosen the right turn buckle a bit to center the implement.. but then both sway chains or turnbuckles must be tight in the center position with the shredder at ground level.. The newer tractors switched to a sliding tube set of sway bars that have holes in them to move a pin and lock them. easier, faster, and usually dont freeze up like the turnbuckles do. Most turnbuckles are rusted in place as they never got used.

Try tightening both turnbuckles equally so the implement is centered behind the tractor. I have 2
tractors with turnbuckle stabilizers that I have used for over 40 years. They work fine for me.

Tightening the turnbuckles should fix the problem. I have
those on my John Deere 5105 and the strange thing is you
can center the mower and snug up the turnbuckles good
and tight and one side will always have more thread
exposed on the screw than the other side.

(quoted from post at 12:58:43 08/10/23) First of all, buy a clip and fix that pto shield. Less than 20 bucks at your local farm store.

Not sure I know what the clip is you refer to. Any specifics will be helpful!

Thanks for all the tips to tighten the turnbuckles once the shredder is centered. [i:a0db226716]I will do that right off![/i:a0db226716] Ashamed to say I've never messed with the turnbuckles!

[b:5ba298ac0c]THANKS, guys![/b:5ba298ac0c] Tightening up the turnbuckles has seemed to work. I turned some figure-8's and checked and it stayed centered. Good to go and I learned something!

Do you see whats holding the shield to the
rear yoke? Thats what parts you need to
hold it to the front yoke.
I sense you are inexperienced. Thats why
it is important to practice safety first
and second try and get something done.
The other guys on here know that I am
always harping about pto shields. I am not
just picking on you. Get it fixed.

(quoted from post at 19:55:48 08/10/23) Do you see whats holding the shield to the

Hey, I appreciate the help! No offense taken.

(quoted from post at 19:55:48 08/10/23) Do you see whats holding the shield to the

Got R done -

Decided to buy an entirely new PTO cover. The old one was falling apart.

This post was edited by NoBite on 08/17/2023 at 01:40 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back