Buying a small crawler

empinball

New User
if a person wanted to buy a small crawler/loader 50 horspower or less with a gas engine, what would you all think would be the best buy as to working and availability of parts. thanks for reading.
 
My first thoughts are why gas.. Anything you buy in the crawler line gas powered is going to be close to 50 yr old. That being your choice it would almost dictate cas 310 being one of the beter older dozers. Plenty of them in the junk yard for parts . I have been doing this 50 + years and am amazed at how many people there are on this site fixing up OLD crawlers. Operated a salvage yard and cut up td 6,9 t340s and all thos old ih crawlers for years. My advice would put alittl with the 4 grand you going to spend for a 50 year old junker and buy you one of the
smaller late model dozers you see for around $ 10,000..use it get something done instead of working on the old clunker then sell it when you are finished
 
A late 60s or early 70s Deere 350 or 450 is a good choice. All the parts are easy to find, new or used. And, as a bonus - the crawlers with gas engines sell for considerbly less than the diesels. Same goes for the earlier 1010s - but engine parts are not so easy to get used. 1010 gas is 35 horse, 350 gas has about 36 horse, a 450 gas around 50 horse.
As to other brands - undercarriage parts are getting harder to find for many of the small crawlers except just a few. The aftermarket companies, like Berco have discontinued the parts.
If you really want something small - the little Cletracs are easy to work on - and aftermarket parts are easily bought.
 
I question why gas too? I used to be anti-diesel, just because I wasn't familiar with them and knew I could work on a gas. Then about 5 years ago, I bought my first diesel tractor, and about 4 years ago bought a diesel Case 350 trackloader. I don't think I will ever own a gas engine again over 25 HP.

FWIW, I bought my Case 350, which is about 40 hp, for $5000. Recently, I overhauled it and I couldn't be happier with the machine. Very good machine in my opion. A 450 is probably a better machine, just cause it's a little bigger, but it's hard to find one for under $10k.

Jon
 
I don't know why the guy wants gas - but I can mention one good reason for wanting one. Winter starting when block heating is not feasable.

I have several diesel tractors, dozers, crawler loaders, and backhoes at home and they are all diesel. Dyed diesel is much cheaper then gas, diesels tend to run more efficient, etc. But, I have a remote property in the Adirondack mountains with no electricity available. I have a small backhoe and dozer I've left up there and they are both gas. For that kind of use, the gas is much better. If I goe up in the winter and need to start one, there's only one battery to deal with, and no block heating needed. I went up last winter - and it was 25 below zero and I needed the dozer. I got it started just fine with the help of running jumper cables from my truck - and that never would have happened had it been a diesel.
A gas engine can also be a lot cheaper and easier to maintain - depending on certain issues. Most people with general mechanical skills can repair a carbuetor, install ignition points, spark plugs, etc. But, many - even skilled mechanics don't have a clue when it comes to repairing fuel injectors and/or fuel injection pumps. Very often an injection pump can need $20 in parts to fix, but the owner winds up spending $600 for the repair since he does not know how to do it him/her self. In fact, my neighbor just had his little Deere 350 diesel repaired - and he paid a Deere dealership mechanic to come, pull the injection pump off, send it out, get it back, and reinstall it - and the total repair bill was $1100. And, the repair - if I had done it for myself - would have cost me $50 in parts and four hours total time.
Obviously, a diesel is cheaper to run - if it's really going to get used. But, for someone buying one for occasional use - if not skilled on real diesel work (above simple component changing) - they can be just as well off with a gas engine.
 
I bought a CASE 350 crawler/loader over a month ago for $2500 from a widow. It was barn kept, its old & worn, its a diesel, runs great. I think the undercarriage is kinda worn but I've knocked down over a dozen trees with it. It doesn't like anything over about 8" in diameter. I haven't had to track down parts for it yet but it seams like a pretty nice little machine.
 
Before you buy make sure you know what kind of dealer support you have in your area. For instance in my area I can only count on good dealer service and support for John Deere and AGCO. The Case/IH dealer now only handles compact tractors and lawn & garden equipment. The nearest industrial dealer, CAT, Drott, etc is more than 100 mi away.
 
I wouldn't pass up an old JD 440 2cyl. if you find a decent one. I had one with a loader and it is amazing what they can do.
 
Bought a used Case 310 5 yrs ago. Turns out it was bought new by Wm Dart (Styrofoam cups-Dart Container) Absolutely a joy to run. Starts, easy to use, expect it to go to my grand kids. We call it Grampa Dart.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top