Buying a truck

Boy I hate this process; dealing with car salesmen; hunting lots for something still in good shape.
I wish they would just post a take it or leave it price in the window and be done with all this rigmarole.
But its getting about time to at least look around for a replacement for my 18 yr old truck.

The absolute most I will pay is 20k
I am color blind when it comes to trucks so any brand works for me unless it has known problems.
Looking for lowest mileage; maybe even with a few months of warranty left.
Willing to take a single cab or work truck as I do not want or need all the bells and whistles the 4 door trucks come with.

When I do a search for this truck and specify price low to high one truck keeps coming to the top.
In fact once I weed out the junk the first 5 trucks were all 2012/2013 GMC Sierra 1500 Work Truck 2D Regular Cab.
Weeding down more threw carfax and pulling out the ones that have been wrecked I narrow it down to two trucks.

A 2012 with 31k miles and a 4.8L V8 for $16250 this one is 4 months out of warranty; I test drove this one yesterday.
A 2013 with 25k miles and a 4.3L V6 for $16998 this one has 9 months of warranty left; only seen pictures of this one.
I figure I would have to get the 2012 down to very low 15's to make it as good a deal as this 2013 and I do not see that happening.

So now my questions.
Is GMC really a bottom of the barrel truck. Trying to figure out why they cost less than Chevy or Ford in my searches.
Last GM product I owned was 30 years ago. They did make good motors back then (350/327) but they sure were rust bombs.

So without getting into past political stuff give me the good; bad; and ugly of GMC trucks and these 4.8 and 4.3 motors.

Im not sure if that 4.3L is the same as the ones from the 90 but if it is they were good engines, I mean really good. I still have one that wont die.

I dont have any newer GM trucks but they dont seem to rust out any more. Cant say the same for dodges. I just bought a dodge and Im unhappy. I wish I would have stayed GM.

I have an '08 GMC 1/2 ton, 4X4, 4.8L,3.42 gears that had 9800 miles on it when I bought it in '10 & now has 90,000 miles on it with minimal repairs considering I have a bale spike bed on it and use it similar to a tractor. My only rear complaint is 10-11 MPG puttering around where I live.

Nothing wrong with those trucks at all. It's demand that drives the price. When most people have to finance something that cost 15/16K and they have decent credit and new bare bone Chevy work truck in 2 wheel drive is about 26K. With a couple of K down that's less than 400 a month in payments. For a used truck at 15-16K the payments can actually be higher so why buy used? Then add in that most people don't want a standard cab and don't want bare bones. They want 4X4, extended cab or 4 door, AC, and a nice sound system. I haven't seen a standard cab pick in a used lot in some time except a couple of GMs and I'm looking for a truck right now too. Just not in a big rush.

Rick

Don't worry about looking at Carfax, as that is only valid if the shop or dealer reported the issue. I have traded two vehicles off that had been in significant accidents, and neither showed anything on carfax. We know someone that works at a dealership so we had her run carfax before we started looking to trade to see if there would be any surprises. I am certain I would not have been able to get near the trade if carfax showed any reported damage. The last one was a 2013 which had approx. $5000 in damage.

The 4.3 is still a good engine. We have 8 around here and they have very minimal problems. No more than the 5.7's, 6.0's or 8.1's. After 75k or so the rear mains get wet. I have one with 160k that probably needs pulled and fixed. Still have two s-10's with 4.3's both with over 225k that have never had the engine, trans or rear end apart.

Last 3 trucks I had came with the 4.3. First one (1990) had around 400,000 km on it when I bought it cheap and ran well, drove it for a couple of years then the electronics started acting up. Next one was a 2000 4WD. Around 350000 km on it. The 4.3 in it runs like a top but only gets 18 or 20 MPG. I just use it around the farm now as the body is shot. I now have a 2002 that I picked up last fall. Looks and runs like new. 4.3l, 4WD. Even worse on gas. They run good but I hope the newer 4.3s get better mileage. Hard to keep ahead of the brakes too, but that's more of an ABS thing I think. Good luck

I have 2 GMC 02 w/200,000 showing a little rust 2012 w/85,00 both 4/w both bought used I like both ofthem Only minor repairs . Good luck

4.3L is a god motor but gutless as all get out. 4.8 L no torque. I've run the 4.3, 4.8, 5.3, 6.0,7.4, in the last 20 yrs. 5.3L I actually have had 2 trucks that were over 360,000 and still ran good. Then I've had 5.3L 2 of them drop a cylinder and these were in 08,09 Chevy 1/2 tons. 6.0 is a nice motor but likes fuel. Ive run that 4.3 since 1990 and they are gutless but run 300,000 plus. A 4.3L is a good puttin around motor.

One general observation I have made is there sure seems to be allot of rusty looking Dodge trucks around. I used to like Dodge too but never kept one over two years when I would lease them. I seem to see allot good looking older Chev/GMC trucks though. I brought a new Chev HD in 07 and people who don't know always comment about me having a new truck. Although I do baby it and only use it if I'm pulling or hauling something. It has 50,000 miles and never had to take it in for anything other than putting brakes at 40,000. I expected that as it usually has a trailer hooked to it when used.

I haven't really noticed on the Fords but body wise they must hold up good as I don't seem to see any rusty ones around. Toyota is not a consideration for me so I don't notice them. I live in Michigan and if they are going to rust they'll do so here.

Just my general observation for what its worth.

Come to MN... that will be your experience - take it or leave it price. That's what I found when looking for a car this fall.

I personally dislike it (though I know it's not all-bad)... but I have always been the one to find/deal on our vehicles and I loved the days of bargaining. In my opinion it was half the fun - first the chase to find, then let the negotiating begin!

The Chevys and GMCs come off the same line. Different grills and some trim but still the same truck. All good trucks NOW.Biggest POS I ever owned was a Chevy.

Bought a new 1983 1/2 ton Chevy Scottsdale trim with a 305 carbureted engine .Never got over 14mpg and didn't have enough power to pull a empty boat trailer out of the water. Lived with it till 1990 and bought a new K2500 GMC. Kept it till 2000 and 120,000 miles. Sold it to a buddy who still has it. The body is shot but still running at 234,000 miles.

In 2000 bought a new K2500HD Chevy.Last year they made that truck. First extended cab I ever had. I won't own another regular cab pickup.
Had no power windows or locks and vinyl floor mat. Kept it till last summer . 132,000 on it. Replaced it with a 2009 2500HD Silverado. First used truck I've ever bought.

Also have a 2010 F150 I bought when I retired. 5.4 motor. 2 neighbors and a friend bought 2011 eco boost. They've all got rid of em but I still got mine.41000 trouble free miles.

You said the truck was just out of warranty. You might check on that cause there might be some drive train and emission left on it.

Good Luck with your choice.

I've always said "When you go to buy a new car,truck etc. the first thing you need to do is write STUPID on your forehead with a magic marker" Because that's what the salesman needs to know....LOL......Jim in N.M.

11804568773x650.jpg

525.jpg

John have you ever tried going to the sales manager instead of sales man or write on a piece of paper what you will give with your phone number and tell them that's what you will give. I have did this several times on cars and trucks and when I got home phone was ring and it was dealer.

John your buying at the highest demand time of the year for used car/trucks, spring and income taxes return time. So you not going to find many "deals" right now. IF both trucks are automatics then I would not even think about the 4.3 if your going to haul anything or pull anything. I have owned two 4.3 1/2 ton trucks. The first was a five speed and was a great truck. The second was an automatic and it was a pure DOG!!! I only kept it for six months or so. SO if they are automatics then go with the 4.8, it is a much better motor with little difference in the fuel mileage.

As for the GMC and Chevy??? They are the same truck although the GMC will book slightly lower. City people think work/company trucks when they see GMC so they will not pay as much money for a used GMC compared to Chevy. The fact they are a work truck does limit the market just a little. Them having them since last fall does not mean much. The fall/winter is the low demand months. So it will not factor much in the dickering. Now if they still have one of them come late summer/fall them you could use that to drive get a better deal.

Also pickups are in higher demand than cars. Especially plain Jane ones "value" ones. IF the dealership was smart they would fancy them trucks up with some add on trim and they easily could drive the price up several thousand dollars with a few hundred dollars of pin strips and chrome.

A good friend of mine sells used vehicles an he watches for these work trucks. HE can buy them cheaper than the trimmed out trucks. He then details the out side and might add a higher grade seat out of a wrecked truck this adds alot to the value. HE says he can make more on the plain trucks fancies up over any other vehicle he sells.

The sales lady I had has only been there a few weeks so the manager is the one that gave me the price in person.
He gave me one price and then would not move. I guess you could say it was his take it or leave it price now that I think about it.

It was just his strong arm approach of take it home for the weekend; you will love this bigger V8 over the V6.
Here is the carfax; this is a good deal; you will not find better so lets draw up the papers.
He most likely has to much in the truck and has no room to deal.

I did tell him....
Give me a call before you send that thing off to auction as I was leaving.

They should stop calling them dealer when actually they have became car sales and the deals they do give you are tax write offs for them.

?4.3L V-6 Engine
?195 @ 4,600 rpm Horsepower
?260 @ 2,800 rpm Torque

?4.8L V-8 Engine
?302 @ 5,600 rpm Horsepower
?305 @ 4,600 rpm Torque

?5.3L V-8 Engine
?315 @ 5,200 rpm Horsepower
?335 @ 4,000 rpm Torque

The truck I drive now
4.2L
Horsepower 205 HP
Torque 255 @3000
Yes it is a dog but does what I need it to do in our flat land.
The hardest pulls we have is bridges.

I think I am going to give it a while and see if the 2012 with the 4.8 sells.
They may be more willing to deal as time goes by and we get past tax season.

I don't think you could 'lose' with either one. I've put a lot of miles on a 4.3 GM. One I owned & the other was a co. owned pickup. One thing I would highly recommend is the 3:73 gearset - the 3;08 or 3:42's would be a deal breaker for me. I don't 'buy' the salesman's bull snot about about better mileage with the higher gearsets. That may have had some truth to it before the mfgrs. started putting overdrive transmissions in pickups. If you want the smaller engine for economy, at least give it a lower gear ratio so you can do some towing or occasionally load it down. The co. owned truck I drove had that problem - 3:42 gears, overdrive was near useless if you had any load in it. Otherwise it was a nice pickup. Just an opinion for the $.02 it's worth !

Obviously I'm a bit behind the times ! My newest Chevy is an '07 with a manual trans. I'd bet the button is an overdrive lockout ? Somebody here will know.

The ONLY difference between a GMC and a Chevy is the badges. Period.

I had a 2007 and my only real complaint was how fast it rusted. There's always been teasing about GM's rusting, but this one was the poster child for rust. My '89 Chevy lasted me 17 years, the GMC went down the road as soon as the warranty ran out.

I have a {bought new}08 Chev Silverado x cab 4x4 LT 5.3 engine w/37k miles. About 1000 miles ago had to put a new senser for fuel system,yellow light came on 350$. Thats all other than service to this truck. Still has the original tires on it w/about another 10,000 miles left to go.

Yes,I like the truck

Check, but there should be 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on both those trucks. I do own a 2011 ext cab with 5.3, and biggest drawback on it has been the AFM which disables 4 cylinders when on highway loafing, so I purchased a Range AFM disable for it, and that helps a lot as it has much better drivability. Neither of those trucks should have the AFM which is an advantage in my mind. I would say it is hard to go wrong with either, but myself I will never own another reg cab truck since having an ext. cab. The ext cab is just too handy with that extra room. With that said, I understand the price difference as it has to be difficult to even sell a reg cab truck these days, and most want the 4 door cabs. I simply would not pay the extra for the 4 door cab since the ext cab does everything I need including hauling a passenger in the back, albeit a bit cramped in the smaller rear seat.

I had a 4.3 in a '95 WT (basic model) i'm pretty sure I got 400k out of. Speedo broke at 230k. Drove it 8 more years at 80 miles a day commute. Mostly bullet proof. Downside was, you could see under the bed from one side to the other, through the rust holes!

John I am in louisiana also and I agree with the electrician the 4.3 is the better of the two but it needs 4.10 rears in my opinion and the 4.8 the numbers aren't real unless you drive with your foot flat on the floor it won't pull a popcorn fart out of a crawfish hole . My choose would be in gm 6.2 then 5.3 and last 4.3 no others qualify as truck engines . I own a 2012 gmc with a 5.3 and a 2000 Toyota tundra with a 4.7 and can say the Toyota will pull and the gmc rides and drives, so figure what you will be doing and get what takes care of your needs . My wife drives a new Toyota tundra and I think it is far better than either of the older ones . If you want to drive up and check out my junk call me 318-542-0896, we will load a trailer and you can see what you like..

My 2 cents is determine if those trucks are 4 speed automatics or 6 speed automatics. While the 6 speed became the standard in 2008 there were many versions of the 4.3 and 4.8 offered as price leader models only with the 4 speed up through 2013.

Both the 4.3 and 4.8 are good motors. All things being equal I would take the 4.8 though as it will simply runs smoother.

Have a 1992 C10 reg cab 2WD with 4.3, 4 speed auto, and 3.42 gears. Bought it new and it is still here. Tows great within reason and gets exception fuel economy. (23.5 mpg empty freeway). When towing put it in drive and lock out overdrive and it does well 15 mpg

Bought a 2001 Silverado Ext cab, 6.5' bed, 2wd, 4 speed auto, 4.3, and 3.73 gears. Hated that truck. Shifts into OD in town around 40 mph and vibrates like crazy due not enough oomph. Towing did not have enough power to pull OD with my loads and put it straight drive and then the rpm were up around 2900 and again it vibrated like crazy. Kept this truck less than 2 years. It would have been better with 3.42 gears. Empty mpg was never stellar and towing mpg was terrible.

While the 4.8 makes it peak numbers kinda high both the 4.8 and 5.3 LS motors offer 90% of their torque even at low rpm and throught the rpm range. Rev the crap out of those V8's and they still smooth. The pre 2014 4.3's vibrate like cazy above 2800 rpm and fall on their face.

I have a 2003 5.3, ext cab, 4wd, longbed, with 5.3 and 4.10 rearend. one pulling son of a gun for what it is.

I forgot to say that 3.23 gears would likely be okay with the 6 speed tranny but I would not want any number lower than 3.42 with the 4 speed with either engine

3.73 or 4.10 would be okay with the 4.8 and 4 speed.

I would only want 3.42 with the 4.3 and 4 speed.

(quoted from post at 17:50:23 02/28/16) They should stop calling them dealer when actually they have became car sales and the deals they do give you are tax write offs for them.

How about: "car repair facilities that will sell you the problems they will fix."

I'm no Chevy fan but I've had an '05 Chevy 2500HD, 6.0 L gas, crew cab for about 5 years, has 79K on it now. Only problem was with a brake booster thing that went bad. We got a good deal on it from my MIL when she no longer needed it to pull a 5th wheel camping trailer. Years ago, like 1977 or so, I had a GMC 1500 standard cab with a 350 c.i., two barrel carb, and it was a good truck too.

I thought GMC was the higher trim level for pickups in the General's truck line? Maybe no good reputation for work trucks among buyers vs. Chevy?

I have a 2004 Chevy 6.6 turbo diesel 4wd with 115k miles and all I have ever replaced is batteries and tires with one tune up. It has the tow-haul feature and can lock out od as well. Don't know the rear end ratio. Cruising mileage is about 19 and locally about 15. Not too impressive but can live with those numbers.

My wife is a much better negotiator than I am. It is harder for the salesman to say no to a determined lady with a sweet personality than it is to us guys.

GMC is actually the high end Chevrolet product. The reason you are seeing it at the bottom is the fact that you are looking at single cab work trucks. That is not a popular vehicle to sell. Add the fact that that one is 2wd. Super discounted. I have owned 2 4.8 engines. They are basicly a 325 where the 5.3 is a 327. There is less than 100 hp different and same for torque. My 08 GMC 2wd work truck has 52000 and is going strong. The last one I had was over 240k when I sold it and it is still hauling wood from the woods over 3 miles from the home which it resides. Good truck will last long time.

(quoted from post at 18:49:29 02/29/16) .... I have owned 2 4.8 engines. They are basicly a 325 where the 5.3 is a 327. ...

The 4.3 V6 is 262 cubic inches

The 4.8 liter is 293 cubic inches (was the replacement for the 5.0 liter 305 of previous generation trucks and a much better engine at that)
The 5.3 Liter is 325 cubic inches (was the replacement for the 5.7 liter 350 of previous generation trucks.)

Neither is the 327 from the late 60's and early 70's fame but all the motors are good motors...just depends on what you want to do and pay

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back