buying cars

Dan-IA

Member
So the thread below about the cutlass diesel got me thinking.

Now while I've got 3 cars laid up and all, and the best of the three is worth about $1200 according to the blue book, maybe it'd be worth my while to buy something else.

I saw a neighbor at the gas pump the other day. He was driving some itty-bitty ford car, looked like a Geo Metro roughly, manual tranny and 12-inch, 4-bolt wheels. I didn't catch the make, but he said it got about 40mpg (gas) highway if he babyed it. Also said it's a common car that brings under $2k around here. Definitely not a showy car, but cheap if you don't need a big pickup. Hatchback car. might be over 10 years old too.

I'd be tempted to get one myself if I knew what it was. Now, I'm not a fan of fords, but it's hard to beat that kind of fuel economy.
 
A good friend of mine sells cheves and he said they will buy any geo metro they can find. It is one of the hottest used cars on the market. Chrysler also imported a car called the Dodge or Plymouth Colt which also is in great demand. The age has nothing to do with it as they all get between 35-40 MPG. Raseom to mention the colt, saw one several dsays ago. Guy said it had been in the barn for 20 years almost forgotten about. Got it out, seviced it, new battery amd off he went. Said he put his Expedition and truck in the barn now. Henry
 
Probably a Festiva (not to be confused with the older Fiesta)... not all that great a car, I've heard. Made by Kia. My parents drive Ford Focus's (Foci??!) and get around 35-37 mpg. Maybe a bit less in Mom's, as it's a wagon model with the Z-tec multi-valve engine. Both are manuals. My '00 Mustang V6 coupe with a manual gets about 31 mpg on the highway.
 
A Cavalier/Sunfire with 2.2L and manual tranny, will get 34-36 highway. They can be purchased for under $3000. The larger 2.4L and manual tranny will get 32-35 highway.

A Neon with 2.0L and manual tranny will get about 34-36 highway, for about the same price.

I my impression these are much better 'looking' cars than the Fiesta's.
 
Why would you want a little bitty uncomfortable car when a full size Buick LeSabre will get 30 mpg highway. I get 26 to 27 mpg with a Crown Victoria which is a huge car.
 
Our family has three Chev. Cavaliers with 2.0 or 2.2 four cyls. and they are bullet-proof and get great mileage. Best of all, we bought them at the State of Iowa sales that are held in Des Moines and Ames. There is a sale this Sat. 29 Mar. in Des Moines.

Just be sure that you don't fall into the trap of the "herd mentality" that is now overreacting to fuel prices. That mindset is driving up the prices of every small economical car and small pickup truck on every dealers lot. Don't make a $3,000 mistake to save $300 in gas over the next year....if prices stay high ???
 
Any early to mid-90's Honda Civic can be easily made to make 40 mpg as well. I used to make 42 mpg in style in my del Sol:

100_0173.jpg


What you saw was most likely a Festiva.
 
Oh yeah, forgot to mention I agree with that "herd mentality" statement...

The del Sol averaged 42 mpg and the Accord will average 27 mpg. By driving the del Sol as much as we possibly could the last year I had it we saved around $300 in fuel - while the yearly insurance cost for the del Sol was $350. No savings at all, that's why I sold it - was only a two seater and now there are three of us...

Even with gas at $4, it wouldn't save that much:
27 mpg for 20,000 miles = 740 gallons x$4 = $2960
40 mpg for 20,000 miles = 500 gallons x$4 = $2000
Yes, you save nearly $1000 - but the cost of insuring and maintaining a second (or third) vehicle might just out weigh the savings...
 
Geo Metros are built by Suzuki. A company I used to work for ran a fleet. I think they are equal in quality to the rest of the Japanese cars. That is very good. The 3 cylinder is tough and does use less gas that the 4 cylinders. With the manual trans and 4 door they have pep and room that defies the small size.I liked em, felt like driving a big go-cart with excellent handeling and breaks. If you need something like that and find a good one for less that $2000 you could do a lot worse.
 
Our 1985 Ford escort would get 40 on the highway. Plain-Jane with no options. Not even a 5 speed. You can't buy a stripped down car anymore. Those options add weight and take power. My 3.5L Intrepid will get close to 30 on the freeway.
 
Where'd you find a bill for the sale on the 29th?

http://dot.iowa.gov/auction/index.htm turns up nothing.
 
I highly recommend any 95-99 Honda Civic...the four door is pretty roomy, will get at leat 35mpg at full hammer, and I have over 340,000 fairly bombproof miles on one- original clutch, head never been off, nothing major.
Plus- they are all over the place
 
I had a geo metro, with a automatic, it got 40 mpg. My neighbor had a manual, averaged 48 mpg.
 
Got a cousin who has a ford festiva, bout a early 90 something. It is a $300 beater work car, he claims it gets a lil better than 40 mpg.
 
MY 99 Ford Escort when new got 38 to 40 miles a gallon on highway and now it has like 170,000 miles and runs great. Gets now 36 highway still. It is a 4 cylinder and uses no oil between oil changes.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top