Jcip

Member
I am setting up a buzz saw and splitter on a trailer frame. Both will be run from the same Wisconson V-4 engine, but I am unsure of the proper RPM for the Buzz saw. I know that most belt power drives ran at about 800- 1000 RPM with tractor at full speed. I never saw anyone run a Buzz saw with the tractor at full RPM so I think 500 RPM is a good starting point? Any input would be helpful.
 
Jcip,

Generally wood cuts well at about 3000 surface feet per minute. Assuming that the Buzz saw blade has a diameter of 36 inches you'll need around 320 rpm on the Buzz saw spindle. Since you didn't mention the blade diameter you'll be using you'll have to figure accordingly.

Are you going to power the Buzz saw with a hydraulic motor?
 
data from book published in 1882, for sawmills arbor speed various diameters, 36 in. 1000 rpm, 48 in. 760 rpm, 60 in. 600 rpm, 72 in. 500 rpm.

data from 1937 montgomery ward catalog for cord wood saws, 20 in.-1800 rpm, 24 in.-1500 rpm, 26 in.-1384 rpm, 28 in.-1285 rpm, 30 in.- 1200 rpm, 32 in.-1120 rpm, 36 in.-1000 rpm.
Hope this helps as it is the only data i have in printed form. leroy
 
Thanks, I have a saw around 25" in dia. I will be using belts to power the saw. I think based on your formula, 500 RPM is about right.
 
I have a saw with vf4d The moter pulley is about 4 inch the top is about 5 inch,two belts that will slip if feed to fast. running at just over 1/4 throttle,built it about 20 years ago. 34 inch carbide tip blade,cuts about 8 cords a year. Put the a cleaner intake cap up above saw dust ,mines 4 feet, works good,
 
Pulleys on most tractors are at the 1000rpm point. The buz saw pulleys were somewhat smaller than the drive pulleys (overdrive by 20% or so. I think 500 is low for a 25" saw. A 2:1 reduction would let the engine run at 2000, and the saw at 1000. All bets are always off on Buzz Saw use. Insert teeth (if on your saw blade are projectiles) JimN
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top