Calling Dave from MN

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Hi Dave! Thinking I might be able to come visit you on my way up nort' in April. Could you take a look at the mapquest page and tell me if that's the way to go? Is there any way to avoid the Cities? Anyone have any other tips?
Mapquest Directions
 
In-to-deep, what time of day would you be driving through Minneapolis/St. Paul? If you are able to avoid rush hour it is not bad at all. Figure rush hour is 6:30 - 8:30am and 4:00 - 6:00pm.

If you are coming on a Friday (once the lakes melt), the afternoon traffic from the Twin Cities going north on exactly the roads you have on your map will be a real pain in the neck.

If you really want to avoid the Twin Cities all together, take US Hwy 53 from Eau Claire, WI heading North to Superior, WI. Then go west on US Hwy 2 to your final destination. Mapquest will tell you it takes about 15 minutes longer, and they are probably right. But if you hit rush hour in the cities, it could save you an hour or more.

Note: driving through WI with out of state plates is bad enough. Driving through WI with IL plates is worse. Watch your speed in the badger state.



I did not realize you were from Dixon, IL. When my great-great-grandfather came to the US he originally settled in Dixon, IL. Moved to WI in 1850, then my great-grandpa moved a couple miles east of Dave from MN. Have a good trip
 
Hi. There is a better way to go once you are past the Twin Cities. I have traveled that way for the past 45 years. Like Dave said, it may be better to go through Duluth once the fishing season starts. I think my Email is open. We have a place by Becida and go up there at least once a month or more. Travel time in the winter months 3 hrs. and 40 min. and summertime may take up to 6 hrs. We live in Burnsville. Get in touch with me and maybe I can save you some time.

Gordy
 
You guys talking about the twin cities reminded me about the time we went to the big mall of America. We've never been there before and I'm cruising towards the mall on some interstate on the south side of town. So I got my sun roof open and there's suddenly the most terrible howling, screeching noise I ever heard, looks up through the roof at the belly of some big jet. I did'nt have any idea I was next to the airport.
I also live about forty miles north of Dixon IL. Jim
 
Yep, I have been taking 53 to 2 when I've gone up there twice now to avoid traffic, but I want to visit Dave in MN who's over by St. Cloud, so I need take a different route.

I think I can miss the Cities' rush hour just fine. Gonna be going north around the 17th of April...will the fishing traffic be real bad heading north? Won't need to worry about traffic heading south. : )

Thanks Paul!
 
in-too-deep I see here your form Dixon Ill. wondering if you know Michael Jahn? Minneapolis Moline collector, with a shop in Lee Center.
 
When you get to SE MN, for example on I90 at Winona?, you can take a very scenic route on 61, along the Mississippi River. If you go as far as Hastings, and take MN 55, (does go through Metro), go to Kimball, and take MN 15 north to St. Cloud. At Kimball, you are nine miles from where I live. Or when you get to SE MN, many other routes to get to MN 15, staying south of Metro. Head for New Ulm or Mankato, both very scenic towns, good roads going up to Hutchinson, then Kimball, St. Cloud, etc. North of STC, follow 15 to Little
Falls, head NW on 10 to Motley, North on 64 to the Bemidji area, or farther west on 10 to US 71, north to Bemidji area. Southern MN is largely German heritage, Metro is Scandinavian, NE- Iron Range, is Finnish and Italian. Along 71, New York Mills area, is Finnish. Many ethnic shops, restaurants, etc. in each of these areas.
 
BTW- last week, MNDot closed the Hiway 23 bridge over the Mississippi River in St. Cloud, due to observed bending in gussets. Same design as the I35 bridge that collapsed in MPLS last Aug 1. If you come up I94 or MN 15 to visit Dave, you have to cross the river- options are a couple blocks north or a mile south of the closed bridge.
 
Yessir I know of some Jahns but I don't know a Mike. I know the shop you're taking about, though. Driven by it many times. Does the name Delbert Sheaffer ring a bell? He's a MM collector and all around machinery guy in Franklin Grove.
 
I sold Mike a Twin city MTA a few years ago. He hauled it home from here in swmn, restored it . It was featured on the cover of the Minneapolis Moline Corresponder magazine.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top