Cant get beans to dry down

Milk

Does anyone know moisture limits for beans in fully perforated drying bin floor with fan? I started harvest the other day with some 17% beans going into the bin, some were 13%.Just dont want them to go bad on me.Grain bin is 27x 19high with 10hp axial fan! I know that the smart thing to do is to wait for field dry down but I have a lot more beans to do. Thanks!

It all depends on the quantity of wet vs dry. YOu should be ok with a few at 17, but run the fan whenever there is good weather. If you have some wet and some dry, try to mix the two together, that weill
help.

Be patient; better weather is coming after this week.

I would keep the limits to shallower depth if possible. they will dry faster and easier to push air through them. Then when dry they could be consolidated for more space later. Depending on where you are should dry in a week depending on depth also. 17 will dry if you don't fill the bin that wet. I have put 18 in a bin and was fine. only put about a couple thousand bushel in there like that and on top of the dry ones.

I would not be in a hurry to combine 17% beans, better to let them get in low 10s and combine at night if too dry. Beans are unlike corn in the fact they will soak up moisture from the dew.

I only have 10 acres of beans.They are still green,but just starting to turn. However,we had our first frost last night.Soybeans are not normally grown
here,these are an experiment for a local hog farmer.

Being as it is early in the season I would hesitate to cut a lot of high moisture beans. Here in the Northeast even if it is not raining the number of low humidity days get
fewer and fewer going through fall making it more difficult to dry a sizable depth of beans.

once you start the fan, don't shut it
off. if you turn it on and off, you will push
the moisture up into the beansand end up with a
crust the air won't go thru

Depends on the humidity and air temperature. Days in the 70's and humidity 50 percent or less most likely a couple of days. Can you easily access the inside of the bin? If you are mixing wet (17 percent) and dry (13 percent or less) I would continually sample the beans as they dry and if you have an old fashioned probe to sample then do that. If you have stirrers I would periodically run them.

If the fields have ripened very uneven be mindful of that as you cut and store. Both soybeans and corn emerged extremely uneven at that start of the growing season here and unless left out very late will mean uneven moisture in a wagon or truck load. This will make drying and storage a lot more complicated than what it would be typically.

As cool and humid as it is, I don’t see the air drying them at this time. Air will keep them from sweating/ going bad.

I think it will take a long time, with our humidity.

I’d not worry about 13-15% beans, but if you are getting hoppers over 16, I’d go really slow on that!

Paul

In southern Minnesota where you are I would not get excited about wet beans for another month. Many times I have been combining beans during world series time here in northwest Iowa.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back