car motor in combine

I have a friend that is having a run of bad luck with motors in an old 95 Deere. I have a 3800 series 2 GM v6 with reasonably low miles on it i offered to give him. He scoffed and said it wouldnt last a day. I say if you change the oil every 50 hours or so and it'll last a while. What's everyone's thoughts?

Well, the Mopar Leaning Tower of Power and V-8's were used to power combines as well as Chevy 292 sixes and small block V-8's and probably others. A big part of doing is successfully would be to get the output shaft set up properly so as. Of to overload the rear main bearing and to get a governor, carburator, and associated linkage working together properly.

A neighbor put two 327 chevys on a 105 JD. JI Case combines used a 318 Chrysler running at only 2150 rpm...
cvphoto120573.jpg

This wouldnt be the only one of a kind in this guys shed, and the output shaft setup would be looked after by his son, an apprentice machinist who just loves odd projects like that. Engine is fully fuel injected, would be taking the harness and ECU out of the car its currently in, factory throttle link can likely be used. Might have to do something craft as the V6 will likely want to work around 3500rpm I was just thinking since hes gone through a half a dozen used engines and hasnt had one make it a season yet this might be low cost option for him to try.

Most car engines in implements used a different camshaft and timing specs. You would also need a belt driven governor to maintain rpms. The older car engines used were called industrial engines and had a few other differences.....higher output oil pumps, bigger volume water pumps to handle the higher operating temps. I'd be a bit leery about any engine using aluminum parts and plastic intake manifolds in that application...

Ben

I would get a used 329 Deere diesel out of a 4400 or an early 6600 combine. They can be bought in my area for less than $2000. I gave $800 for the one I put in my 95 combine. Tom

New Idea 702 Uni Harvester used a GM V6. Chevy 292s were real popular in combines. My Gleaner K2 has a 250 Chevy. You just have to rig a governor on them. My Oliver 7300 had a 318 Chrysler V8. I had a Massey 300 with a Chrysler slant 6.

Where are you located. We have a 55 combine with a 303 gas that has the same motor as the later 95 combines. We would sell the whole machine. I am in northern Ohio. We just used the 55 last summer to combine wheat. We bought a 4400 now so dont need it anymore.

The difference lies in the mainly the bottom end . Chrysler Ford and GM made the industrial and truck engines . Better blocks some had four bolt mains all had drop forged cranks heavier connecting rods . Cam shafts had a different grind , double roller timing chains , Heads had bigger chambers and the valves were Stelite or sodium filled or stainless steel lower compression ratios lower torque curves . I used a Ford 391 truck crank when i built my first 390 . A lot of work needed done to it to put in a car and it had to be rebalanced . They all do not use many parts that will inter change between a car engine , truck or Industrial app. . When i ran a Chrysler Plymouth dealership parts dept. i really started learning about this more . Where we were located was just a couple miles north of the Ohio turn pike exit and the two towing company's that had the pike towing contract started UMPING anything with the Chrysler Star on it at our door step Dodge pick up's Dodge BIG trucks Dodge motor home Chassis's . The only Dodge dealer anywhere around us that sold the big truck line up stocked NOTHING for the BIG truck or motor home chassis and the new kid running there parts dept had NO IDEA about BIG trucks . The one local school system had all Dodge chassis school buses and they started coming to me for parts and those are another animal all to there own . I had to beg my district office to let me have the books and to stock parts due to the influx of traffic coming in . We had two guys that could even fix a rainy day that if they had the parts they would stay over to get the people back on the road This is where you see what all is different . Then back then just south of me was big tater country and a lot of guys had irrigation pumps with Chrysler Industrial engines from the 225 slant 6 on up to the 413 V 8 . school buses ran a 361 , older Mo pars used the 361 , THEY are not the same animal in no shape or form the only think the two have in common is the 361 Cu. IN . I ran a parts dept that was second to none and if you needed it i had it other then body side moldings , that you could never get right or have what ya needed for that if needed then it was no more then three days out or as soon as that afternoon . as i had two 3/4 Dodge vans and a 1/2 ton Dodge pick up on the road everyday . You could hand build and engine with the parts i had on hand or you could just take a ready to drop in and run one from the back wall you pick the power i had it . the phone never stopped ringing with parts orders . No mechanic was left setting on the bench waiting on parts no body shop person was left with nothing to do even if i had to get him moldings he had what he needed to keep working . So as to your combine engine lets just say if your Gleaner with the 350 took the big dump and you had a 350 in and old pick up could you BOLT that in , yep ya could BUT just how long that would last before the pin fell out and scattered who knows but it will same as the 225 slant six yep they sorta look the same on the outside BUT putting that one out of a Dart or Scamp in your combine or on that irrigation pump and having it set out there running all day and all night WELLL it might do it for a little while then you will get to see what is inside from the outside.
.. Cast crank or Drop forged . Better pistons better rings better roads different cams and heads.

Haha, being thrifty is the main cause of this engine troubles. These engines have all been under $500. First motor came to a violent end. Second motor blew a rad hose, no heat gauge hooked up so it cooked. Next motor ran fine burned more oil than gas. Next motor was stuck when he got it, got it to run but couldnt get any power out of it. 4th one had the camshaft break. #5 broke the crank on the pto side of the engine. #6 is running but sounds BAD.... kinda unique to my ears, combinations of grinding and knocking. I thought my free v6 would be right up his alley, but from the replies here ill just leave that one alone.

We're in midwestern Ontario, I passed your message along to the owner, and I got an earful about the cost of shipping haha, so thanks for the offer. Hope your 4400 serves you well

Would be an interesting project.

Industrial gas engines and a combine needs governed speed; strong power at top rpm all day long.

Automobiles need a burst of power to accelerate away from the stop sign, then only put out 10-25 hp cruising down the road. Oil and cooling and toughness are different on the auto engines, even if some of the major parts are the same a lot of the details are very different.

Cool thread!
Paul

The 3.8 would probably work OK except for the governor. Gleaner used GM's 292 I6 in the F - lots of hours put on ours and it was still strong when the rest of the combine was completely worn out.

The 292 was a truck engine...used in light to medium duty trucks,never in cars.It was built heavier than the 250 or 230 six from the start.
Ben

The 292 was a long stroke engine with the same bore as the 250. It was a power house. We had one in a 1965 gmc 3/4 ton. Liked the fuel too.

None of you guys mentioned that IH put the 304 & 345 gas V-8 truck engines in self-propelled combines. Anything newer like an axial flow was diesel powered.

I can see melted pistons in the future.or siezed piston and ventilated block. Or spun bearing and ventilated block or pan. That hot oil coming out of the pan sure can catch fire easy.

The 292 was part of Chevy's (GM) Turbo Thrift engine line that included 194, 230. 250 and 292. The main difference between the 4 engines was the stroke and deck height - the 230 and the 250 even had the same bore. The 250 was the base engine in GM and Chevy pickups for years until it was phased out and the then optional 292 was made the base engine - until it was phased out by the 4.3 V6. They all shared the same bore spacing. All the turbo thrift engines featured seven main bearings, and was considerably smaller and approximately 100 lbs lighter than the old 4 main bearing Stovebolt 6.

Ford's 240/300 I6 engines that were introduced at the same time had many of the same features and was also known for being one of the most reliable engines manufactured.

Not here in Canada.....the base engine in half ton Chevy/GMCs after 1970ish was the 250, the 292 was a rare option for a few years, but was the base engine for the 3/4 ton and heavier pickups. The 250 was the base engine til the mid 80s when the V6 became the standard engine. Engine options may have been different in the US.

Ben

Those old 346s were tougher than boiled owl . Not even anything in common with a modern car engine other than they both have pistons and burn gas

For the combine repower, i think it should be more durable to put a Perkins 354 engine from an old massey or similar.bthose are very reliable and fuel efficient.
The 354 has a bolt on rear plate and can be made to fit anything. I guess the john deere 300 s series also have a rear plate.

Be interesting to see the PTO bell housing adapted to the V6. If you could swing that, I dont see why the free engine would be a problem. Is a 3800 TBI , or carbureted, to where you would need a computer from a donor vehicle to run it?

Car is a 98, have the whole car so computer and everything is available. In high school they were considered indestructible. I dont think he's going to take it, his son is thinking about it but I have doubts it happens. I think personally with fuel prices he best go find an f2 for a couple thousand and drive on. I sure wouldnt want to be supplying road taxed gasoline for field work right now.

(quoted from post at 06:07:07 03/22/22) We're in midwestern Ontario, I passed your message along to the owner, and I got an earful about the cost of shipping haha, so thanks for the offer. Hope your 4400 serves you well

A neighbour of Centash or Bruce ?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back