Case 200 Drive chain

Phil Tibbetts

The main drive chain on my case 200 baler got ripped apart beyond repair. Does anyone know how many drive links it is supposed to have? This is critical to timing the knotters. I have heard 83 and 84 links. don't want to wipe out a set of needles. 83 seems right to me but 1 link makes a difference. does anyone know the correct number? i got the parts book but it doesnt say.

I can't help with the chain length, I always thought the parts book listed the required amount of links. But having just gone through this with my baler I can tell you before you go to the field with it turn the baler over many times slowly by hand. Then watch to make sure the plunger to needle relation is correct and stays correct after a few cycles. That will tell you if the chain and timing is correct. Then try baling and you should not have to worry about wiping out needles, Rod.

Phil, I do not think the link count is important as far as timing is concerned, the slack is taken up by an idler on the slack side of the chain, the shaft distances are fixed and the link pitch is the same so it should take the same number of links to reach from sprocket regardless, as long as the chain reaches, couples together and can be adjusted I think you are good.

Thanks for all the replies.
Got it fixed and it does have to be the right number of links which is 84. The main drive off the gear box drives a sprocket on a jack shaft which in turn drives the knotters and needles. I've had this baler for over 55 years so know it pretty well. I have set the timing many times over the years so I have that down pat. Just wanted to be sure I had the right drive chain. Sometimes it is better to ask than destroy something.

Great reply, I've timed it many times in 55 plus years and after a while it it is easy. definitely roll it over by hand several times before Starting for the field. Went out and finished the job today.

I've got a half dozen welded needles. A welder friend of mine did. They work just as well as originals. Last time I checked over 20 years ago they were $215 each for new ones. Ouch

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back