Case 400 Brake Guidance

9/29/026


Case 400 Brake Guidance

As you read this, please keep in mind that I do NOT know a thing about Case 400 brakes.

The back Story: The brakes on my 400 have always stopped the tractor, but on their own schedule. So far this has not been a problem. I almost never pull anything with the tractor. The tractor is primarily just used for its Farmhand Loader. So, I never really cared how great the brakes worked.

Present Day: However, my mindset changed this weekend, as I was hauling a load of junk in the bucket, got near the fence, and sure enough the brakes decided that they did NOT want to wake up. Luckily, I was able to drop the bucket in time to NOT drive through the fence. I stopped, literally 2 inches away from the fence, but at least I don’t have to replace the fence.

Going Forward: My question(s) are as follows.

I did have the bar locking both brake pedals together if that is useful information.
  • How do the brakes on a Case 400 work?
  • Do they have anything in common with today’s car/Pickup truck brakes?
  • Can they be adjusted? If so, how is that done.
  • Are parts available for them, (John Saeli that question is for you. LOL)
  • What should I be looking for/at to determine what is wrong with them?
  • If I have to tear into them, are there other maintenance things I should do while I am into the brake job?
Any guidance you are willing to provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Respectfully,

JoeyPorkChops
 
Your really not going to know what the problem is until you take the covers off, could be oil leaking from a worn seal onto the disc's, or, hard to believe they're glazed so bad they won't grab. The brakes work by a center actuator that expands outward by the balls rolling on an inclined groove,, when pulled by linkage from thr pedal. The outward expansion presses against the disc's which also then press against the transmission wall and the cover. A good help with reassembly is to make a headless bolt as long as the top one of the cover. Screw it in to where it will hold the weight of the assembly as you guide it over the splined brake shaft.
20260929_120817.jpg
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top