Kevin's '57 Case 400 issues

Kevinwterry

Member
Hey all, I just purchased this 1957 Case 400 gas tractor from a local auction. Wasn't planing on buying this one because I figured it would go over my budget as it was deemed a running/ operating tractor. I usually go after the non runners. But it went for cheap, so now it's mine.

Anyways, just brought it home last night, barely fit on my trailer. Runs okay, needs a tune up, drives fine, the 8 speed shift pattern will take a minute to get used too, brakes don't work. But the main issue so for is the 3 point and remote don't work. This is my first case tractor so I don't know anything about it. It has 2 levers next to each other, im assuming ones the remote and one does the 3 point. Well the left one has full motion but doesn't do anything at all, and the right lever is locked up hard. Not at the hand lever but at the rear of the tractor.
I have the $115 service manual from this site on the way, but does anyone have any rough ideas what's broken/seized up?
20250514_165752.jpg
20250514_161418.jpg
20250514_172510.jpg
 
First check for water in the hydraulic reservoir by cracking the pipe plug dain at the lower rear right side. Do the graduated turn to let water seep out first if it's present. Check for water in the oil, is it milky. Check oil level, on I believe, the small pipe plug right side.Take the little rectangular plate with the raised eagle off and watch the spools as you move the levers. One is most likely froze from corrosion, the other my be a stuck open relief or other check ball. The spools are supposed to move each way about an inch. Parts are available if you wish to rebuild, consisting of gaskets, springs, balls, etc. The repair itself is not hard but keeping parts in order as they go is keen. Making a sectioned off cardboard tray labeled top, bottom and left right is most helpful. The spools and body need polished back smooth which I did with one of those smallest paint rollers (about an inch wide and three inches long) putting a long bolt through the center and a drill to turn it. Polishing compound worked well as an abrasive.
 
That hydraulic pump is not right, I'm guessing from a different model
You can tell by the levers. I would look it over to see if its been changed recently. If it came off a chain drive model like a DC, or SC or any other chain drive it will be turning backward.
 
The way the arms are bent on the hydraulic pump, something not working does not surprise me. Relax and wait on the service manual. Or take pictures and sort as you disassemble, its kind of a booger in there. good luck I have some pieces and parts for that hydraulic pump and controll. BTW that is how my 411 fits on my trailer also, just rubbing the fenders. gobble
 
Nothing to really update yet. The manual shows up today. Might pull that rectangle cover off after work if its just a cover. Didn't want to take anything apart without knowing what's behind it. The upper lever is the one that moves. Doesnt do anything though. Lower one is stuck good. Which ones the remote and which is the 3 point?
 
The inside lever controls the lift arms, the outer lever controls the remotes. The top, bent lever that goes down through the other, can be unhooked though the opening behind the plate, and pulled up to remove. The lever was bent from a top link pushing against it. It can be straightened with torch heat and gentle pushing to flatten it like the lever below. It seals with simple O rings.
 
Well I pulled the drain plug and not much came out. Got 3 of the 4 flathead screws out and was able to roll the cover out of the way. Only had time to mess with it for a few minutes but am starting to understand how it works.
20250516_171159.jpg

20250516_191126.jpg
 
Looks just like the one I had.
Take put the 3 bolts on that triangular plate. There is an intake filter screen behind that and you will be able to reach in and clean out a lot of the white oil/water mix, as well as clean the screen.
 
We got it apart enough to get lever to move freely again. Now I can't find any gaskets for it. The left side didn't have one, just had some gasket maker. Right side is paper thin and in peices. I can hand cut new ones, but can't even find a picture of what it's supposed to look like. I can guess the best I can, but not sure what holes to cut out or what holes need to be looped together as one hole. Maybe im not using the right search words?
 
We got it apart enough to get lever to move freely again. Now I can't find any gaskets for it. The left side didn't have one, just had some gasket maker. Right side is paper thin and in peices. I can hand cut new ones, but can't even find a picture of what it's supposed to look like. I can guess the best I can, but not sure what holes to cut out or what holes need to be looped together as one hole. Maybe im not using the right search words?
This might be of some minimal help, see link. Each unit has a cutaway and exploded view. Use the Next and Previous arrows to navigate. Or when you get familiar enough with the names you can use the “Diagram” drop down. The “Category” drop down will let you choose other sections of the tractor such as Engine or Power Train etc.
Messicks Case 400 parts catalog
 
The gaskets are pricey, I bought them for convenience from John Saeli, but if I remember correctly, every hole on the gasket matched every hole or protrusion present on the heads. Parchment paper would work if you want to take the time.
Parchment paper for the gasket material? The remains of the right side gasket was about that thin
 
Screenshot_20250521_053826_Chrome.jpg

Thanks used red for the link. It helps. Now we have part numbers. Apparently they are all obsolete. I have a few o ring sets so hopefully they will match up. I'll have to hand cut some gaskets. This picture somewhat shows the layout of the gasket
 
That pto shaft looks like new, Dad replaced ours after 10, 349 hours on the clock. Worn from picker, baler , chopper ,
mower, crimper, p t. Combine, manure spreader, It's a shame tractors get water in everything when they never get parked
In a shed, if you use eagle hitch, do you have top link , that goes over pto ...? It lifts better ( geometry) in that position
That top link is intended for pto use with 3 point attachments . When you refill oil , there is a leveling plug on right side
of housing..
Your shop technician looks like he has a good handle on this. 😀 That's how I learned !,!
Best of Luck ! Thanks for pics.
 
Well making some progress. Found out was missing the 2 1/4" 1500psi relief balls and one of the small springs was in 4 peices. Just got off the phone with John Saeli and he's got new gaskets and balls heading my way. Thanks again for everyone's help so far.
 

Attachments

  • 20250530_093940.jpg
    20250530_093940.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 43
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top