Case 530 power steering assistance

I have a case 530, not entirely sure of the year, that the power steering does not function on. I have a case manual however it does not address the steering set up I have. What I know is that the rubber line from the pump to the filter canister had a large hole in it. Before finding this i added fluid to it and that is how I found the leak. I am tempted to drain the old fluid that remains and replace the hose, refill and see if it works. What I don’t know is how the system functions. I have a large steering box that drives the pitman arm to a single steering cylinder that has two hydraulic lines to it. These go to the pump and filter canister respectively. If anyone has a diagram of this steering system I would appreciate being able to see it. If you guys have any ideas on what to look for as far as problems I am open to listen. The tractor runs great, loader works great, I just need to sort out the power steering. She needs a bath and will likely be torn down this winter to reseal and paint.

Here are some photos

cvphoto45414.jpg

This is an early 530 PS assist system. Go to the link, it is either that system pending serial nr or click on the "NEXT" button for another like system for a later serial nr. Than click on the next button for cylinder breakdown view.

The missing line is the pump inlet from the reservoir. Do not run the engine with that line missing or with the reservoir dry, it will ruin the pump.

Joe
https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts search.html?csid 728af1dc3eb2de2b01627510a4707651&sl EN&currency epc::mr60192ar831547

Thank you for the information. I fear that the pump has been run dry as the line I removed had a hole in it for god knows how long. I will try replacing the hose and cleaning out the old fluid to see if it will work. Might be sourcing parts to rebuild the pump. What is the correct fluid to run in this system?

Hydraulic oil is fine. System is self bleeding. Jack the front wheels off the ground for the test. If not sat post back and we will manually stroke the hydraulic cylinder. Doubt there will be an overhaul for a little pump like that.

Joe

I was able to install the new hose. Filled the system and fired it up and raised the tires with the loader. Cycled back and forth a dozen or so times, rechecked and topped off the reservoir. Fired it back up and started turning back and forth then one of the lines blew down at the cylinder. So with that I need to get some lines made. The good news I suppose it would seem the pump works although I will say there was no noticeable power assistance to the steering. There were a million tiny air bubbles in the canister when I refilled it so maybe it just has a ton of air in it, unless the pump isn’t putting out enough pressure. Either way it will get all knew lines and try again.

You were able to steer the tractor before we started addressing the PS right, it steered ok just w/o steering PS assist?

Your pump pressure line to the cylinder didn't look very good, at least, the hose cover is pretty crappy and it is not original, may not be a high pressure hose. Pump max pressure will be ~1000 psi. Pump must have been putting out some pressure to blow the hose even so. Get your hoses squared away, refill oil and try it again. Take some pics or some way to keep track of your hoses routing, I am not 100% on that. Bubbles good, self priming. Work it till the bubbles gradually get less.

Next time we need to know if the drag link is sliding the ball stud to stroke the control valve or just bending it over. Stroke of the ball stud is very slight, like about 1/8" or so from center to left or right. There should be a zerk on the underside of the ball stud sleeve, grease it and take the zerk out for now.
cvphoto45520.jpg

We may need to manually stroke the cylinder if you have pump pressure but no cylinder movement, it may be binding inside the valve actuator from water getting in under the dust cover. We'll cover that if we need to, I will have to hunt up some pics.

Joe

Thank you for the information. Once I get the hoses replaced I will follow up. The information on how the valve works is very helpful.

If you don't have any luck getting it to work, you can send it to me for repair.I have all the parts for the bendix.I will open the cylinder and replace piston and rod and new teflon seal and inner cylinder if needed,control valve seals, tie rod end if needed, and other parts.I searched for a couple of years for parts and finally had some made.Bob Hunter dba Pioneer Hydraulics,5807 E Hayward Rd, Waukomis, Okla.73773, 580-603-0063.Good luck!

I will keep you in mind. I found a local supplier who sells the rebuild parts. If I cant make it function I may send it out. The pump seems to pump but is there a rebuild kit?

You are not going to get the repair that he is offering, his repair exceeds what was available from Case when these steering cylinders were brand new, Never were there rods and pistons and piston packing available from Case. That cylinder was a welded assembly and he is opening it up, replacing parts and rewelding it. You may get valve seals and a couple pieces of hardware but you will not get the kind of repair that he is offering. Sounds to me that he knows his stuff and if I needed that repair he would do mine. That valve has to be done right or you can create more problems for yourself.

The Caseih parts site lists O-rings w/sizes for the control valve spool seals. I haven't bought any seal kits from Case and just wondering if Case kits are actually O-rings. I have used V seals (pic) like original Benedix parts kits. Do you know if Case actually provides O-rings for these seals or are you using something different.

Joe
cvphoto46851.jpg

I finally was able to get some time in the barn to remove the cylinder. Came off with reasonable ease. Ran the piston back and forth to get the remaining fluid out and
it seemed to operate correctly. I opened up the valve and everything is very clean inside. I am thinking that it is probably best to send this out for a full rebuild as
I do not know if it had a problem or not at this point. I am starting the think that the pump needs a rebuild. One question I have is how good is this power steering
when functioning properly? Is there a universal pump and steering cylinder package that can be installed that would perform better than this set up? I am anxious to get
this thing going and freshen it up.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back