Case 580ck backhoe help

Carib

New User
I hope to get some direction for help. I was given a old case 580ck backhoe for some work that I did for a guy. I started the backhoe and dove is about 2 miles to get it to where my trailer was parked. I then drove it on the trailer. Brought it home and could not get it to go forward
or reverse??? I think it is around a 1970's model. Hydraulics work great. But no movement with the shuttle shift. So now I am really confused??? Anyone willing to give me some type of things to check and where to start?

Thank you in advance

No gear shift is fine. Was looking today checked oil level. Oil looked foamy? Dose not look like water in it but foamy. Dose that even make sense?

(quoted from post at 17:34:02 11/26/20) No gear shift is fine. Was looking today checked oil level. Oil looked foamy? Dose not look like water in it but foamy. Dose that even make sense?

Mechanical or power shuttle? Any history on it from the guy that gave it to you? Perhaps it had an issue or he has insight on what it is/isn't doing. Oil will foam if it gets air in it such as a leak on the suction side of a pump. Did you get any manuals with it? Is the serial number tag still on the right side panel of the dash cowl?

Sorry, but no manuals. Could not see a serial number. I know it has a torque converter. Also has the shuttle lever on the left hand side of
the steering wheel. I was able to sneak out today to look at the system a little more. It looks like there is a filter for that section in front of
the radiator. I have ordered a set of manuals from a shop. But it will take a couple of day's to get. I talked to the old owner. He stated that the
only problem they had is when the system would be cold and it would take time up warm up??? I am not quite sure if it is air, or water at this
point. Need to do some tracing of the lines to see if there is a cooler somewhere in the system. Hopefully, I will have time tomorrow after work to
at least drain the system, and do some more checking.

The shuttle needs checked with engine at a idle, if you are checking it with engine off you will think its full when its low,, foamy oil says to me you are low on oil, does the clutch pressure gauge work, center of the dash,, you will have psi there unless engine is off or you have the trans disconnect pedal depressed, (you will see it as the clutch pedal) depending on temp outside it needs to be let run 1 to 15 min to warm up the power shuttle system properly, the longest time is when temps are -20 below we sold thousands of them new I still use a 580CK on my farm today,, they are by far the best machine built at the time and will give you many decades of use with proper care, first thing I need to know is if you have convertor/clutch psi,,

So here is where we are at. I checked the oil, it was water. I drained the system even the radiator. Filled the system with fluids. While doing this found the leak for the shuttle shift. The starter was loose letting oil out. I pulled the starter and installed a cork gasket that I made. Tightened the starter, then when to start the machine. ( This was done due to my thinking that there was not enough oil in the system to operate). Tried starting, the starter did not engage the fly wheel. It was bound up. Loosened the starter back up and tried again, she started no problem, but she just pours hydraulic fluid out around the starter. So, what it the thickness of the gasket that goes from the starter flange to the bell housing? I did find the plate for the SR#'s it was setting down by the rods that work the brakes. If it helps the number is 8340993. Dose this help in any way.

So here is where we are at now. Found out the old owner had the starter rebuilt a couple of years ago. The reason the starter binds up is that whom ever rebuilt it put the wrong gear on. It is suppose to be a 9 tooth gear and we have a 11 tooth. Makes sense now why it was binding. So have to see what I can find out on Monday 11-30-2020. The gasket is just a 1/8th inch paper gasket for sealing purpose. This is kind of fun, like my old job in the coal mines, we worked on stuff all the time with out manuals.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back