Case 585 international

Matthewrdeer

New User
Have a case 585 that sat in a freeze and drained the radiator. When I filled it back up and started all antifreeze went into the block. When I pulled the radiator there are 4 plugs that look like freeze plug on the head and one was off. Are these freeze plugs any help would be greatly appreciated

The correct term for the plugs in castings is either core plug, or welch Plug. They are used during manufacturing the castings to allow the material used to form hollow sections of the casting to be removed. These internal openings are (in engine blocks) are often used where water jackets need to be formed. The cores are made from A sand compound that Stays solid when the casting is poured, but breaks up as the metal shrinks as it turns into a solid and cools to room temperature. The loose/chunky sand is removed through these holes. They are erroneously called freeze plugs because when an engine block freezes from inadequate protection, (or none), these core plugs are often pushed out of the block. Some of them might, by this action, actually prevent cracking of the casting. It is not the reason they are there. A block subjected to enough freezing is likely to crack Core plug or none. Die cast blocks (aluminum) found in very many new vehicles have no core plugs. Jim

As stated those are not freeze plugs.

Did the coolant go IN the block or ON the block? I and O are side-by-side on the keyboard and it's easy to make a typo.

If it went into the engine oil, that missing "freeze plug" is the least of your problems. Block is cracked internally. You will need a replacement block. It may be simpler to just find a whole running engine out of a similar tractor.

If the coolant went ON the block, then replace the rusted-out "freeze plug" and continue on with your day. It may be a good idea to replace all four plugs.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back