Case 830, CaseOMatic?

Bryce Frazier

Hey guys, what can you tell me about a case o matic transmission? I'm looking at an 830, serial tag says 831C, it's a Comfort King, 4cylinder diesel. 18.4-34 tires.

Anything I should look for when I go to look at it?

Thanks guys!

The com is the toughest most reliable power shift system ever made, although it does not technically change speeds. It is a torque converter drive system very similar to an auto transmission in a car or truck only tougher. Takes a bit of getting used to because you always let the clutch out at idle then give it gas to move. Once moving you pull a lever to lock it and it pulls like a dry clutch. If your pulling and run short of power you push the lever down into com and the torque converter slips and keeps the engine in the power band and you power right through. When your through the tough spot just lock it up and continue on. Extra handy for loader work because it allows you to apply power without spinning. Big front end loaders still use the same system.

As far as what to look for check for antifreeze in the oil, they are old and the o-rings on the sleeves can fail. Not a bad job to fix but you have to tear down the engine to do it. Check the steering as the pulleys can get worn so the belts don't pull well. Otherwise there is not much that can go wrong. Simple 8spd transmission that rarely gives trouble, good pto that is easy to change the clutches if you need. Simple hydraulic system that rarely gives trouble.

For case folks they are one of the tractors that is a favorite and is the last to go at retirement. Folks that have them don't often let them go.

Ditto what Jon says, but I'd walk away if I saw an Ether can around. After cracking the drain plug in the oil pan and looking for signs of coolant there, start the engine and fill the rad clear to the top, into the neck and look for bubbles. Bubbles in the coolant are a bad sign.

Interesting, thank you guys very much for the info. Only thing I am a little leery about is that the tractor has a fresh oil change... That to me always as a sign that they are hiding something? Going to look at it again tomorrow with a trailer and cash taking a buddy that's a little more familiar with him to. They are wanting 1800 out of it is that out of line? Thanks all!

Is it the early eagle hitch or later comfort king? Depending on condition that's in the ball park for the eagle hitch model, around here those sell for 15-2500. If it's the later comfort king that is very cheap.

Drive one to see if you like it. Most people either absolutely love it or absolutely hate it. Simple tractors with strong engines and transmissions. The Power Assist steering is best used while moving, and the torque converter can free-wheel when going downhill in Case-O-Matic mode. Myself, I prefer the Comfort King Dual Range models with a regular clutch and a real three point hitch (Draft-O-Matic), in the $2200 to $3500 price range.

I believe it's a later one unless there are two different types of later one? Has a cat 2 3 point hitch.

I'm familiar with the early style 830, then the comfort king style, this is the later.

Am I on the right track?

For the bulk of my work I dont use a 3 point, really only for my sprayer and misc chores.

I have a 930 comfort king with a bad motor, has the 8spd transmission. They are the same between tractors right? The 930 is a wheatland with no 3 point and it has 1000 pto.

If the 930 is an 8spd bare back they are similar, if it's a true western and is 6spd they are totally different. If your 930 is an 8spd without 3pt it's a row crop bare back. They are fairly common in the western states. They frequently have 1000 pto to pull pull type combines.

They can but it's not a problem area. And they can be eliminated if you don't want to fix them.

Yes, that must be mine. It is an 8spd for sure. Here is picture hopefully.

It is a similar looking machine to the 830 I'm looking at tomorrow. Other than the 830 is more a row crop tractor with an adjustable front axle

cvphoto98863.jpg

Another question for you, the 830 has 34 wheels on it identical to my 930. Are there different clamps to go to 38, or do I have to change centers? Are the 830 and 930 centers/axle clamps the same?

The 830 axles are smaller axles so it's not a direct swap. They do make taller wedges that will allow 38 rims. They made a couple different centers, the one piece with holes in them which are lighter and the heavy duty which are two piece. If you have the two piece it will likely be easier to find 38 centers as the 70 series are the same.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back