mttom64

New User
Helping a neighbor out with a tractor she wants to get running. I am an auto mechanic so dont know much about old tractors. the Tag says
1708677 SC. If my research is correct that makes it a 1943 model SC? In any event this tractor has no charging system that I can find -(should have a 6 volt generator on carb side)? The battery in it is a 12 volt for whatever reason but there is no gen or alternator or no signs of a retrofit. There is no ammeter and from pictures I've looked at the hole the ammeter would go in has a plate covering it. I have no spark either.

Can anyone shed some light on this charging system? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Factory original electrical system is a 6 volt NEGATIVE ground, many people think think 6 volt is always positive ground, but not for the Racine built Case tractors. And yes, it would have had a generator. Unless you want it to be original, using a 12 volt battery and installing an alternator will work just fine. I have a 42 SC myself and it was 12 volt when I got it, but I put back to 6 volt with a 6 volt alternator. For your no spark issue, do you know if it has the original magneto or a replacement battery ignition coil and distributor?

Factory original electrical system is a 6 volt NEGATIVE ground, many people think think 6 volt is always positive ground, but not for the Racine built Case tractors. And yes, it would have had a generator. Unless you want it to be original, using a 12 volt battery and installing an alternator will work just fine. I have a 42 SC myself and it was 12 volt when I got it, but I put back to 6 volt with a 6 volt alternator. For your no spark issue, do you know if it has the original magneto or a replacement battery ignition coil and distributor?
Thank You - yes it has the original magneto. 6 volt alternator might be the way to go. Not seeing any of the wiring or ammeter - there is no bracket for a gen either. They must have removed and got a smaller belt...? again thanks for the info. Not looking to restore just needing to get running quick and cheap

Since it has a magneto, you could go 6 or 12 volt with no issues since it doesn't require battery voltage. A 12 volt alternator would be cheaper than a 6 volt. Also, if you need help with getting the magneto working properly, there is a regular poster on the forums that goes by the name of Teddy53food that does magneto repair as a hobby. I recently sent him a magneto for repair. Also don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have, there are lots of very knowledgeable people here willing to help.

If you decide to replace the 6volt generator I have one or two you could have. I grew tired of voltage regulators failing and have converted most of mine to 12volt with alternator. gobble

Helping a neighbor out with a tractor she wants to get running. I am an auto mechanic so dont know much about old tractors. the Tag says
1708677 SC. If my research is correct that makes it a 1943 model SC? In any event this tractor has no charging system that I can find -(should have a 6 volt generator on carb side)? The battery in it is a 12 volt for whatever reason but there is no gen or alternator or no signs of a retrofit. There is no ammeter and from pictures I've looked at the hole the ammeter would go in has a plate covering it. I have no spark either.

Can anyone shed some light on this charging system? Any info would be greatly appreciated
The serial number should start with either a 4 or 5 and contain 7 numbers total. I'm guessing there is part of a 4 hidden under the screw head on the serial number tag. To find the year you subtract 4 from the first two numbers. This would make the SC either a 1943 or 1953 model year, if the first number is a 5.. There should also be a serial number stamped into the engine block lip that bolts onto the transmission housing. Previous owner only used the 12 volt battery for starting several times before needing to re-charge the battery, w/o any functioning onboard charging system. Pretty common fix for an old magneto fired tractor.

The serial number should start with either a 4 or 5 and contain 7 numbers total. I'm guessing there is part of a 4 hidden under the screw head on the serial number tag. To find the year you subtract 4 from the first two numbers. This would make the SC either a 1943 or 1953 model year, if the first number is a 5.. There should also be a serial number stamped into the engine block lip that bolts onto the transmission housing. Previous owner only used the 12 volt battery for starting several times before needing to re-charge the battery, w/o any functioning onboard charging system. Pretty common fix for an old magneto fired tractor.
Yup there is a 4 partially behind screw head. Makes it a 43 then?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back