Cattle feed rations

Howdy. Im gonna give you guys what feed we have available, and you tell me what to do with it.

Feeding Black angus calves (born/raised on our farm)

Corn silage in bags
Ear corn in crib
Small Squares alfalfa
Rye grass round bales

Right now we have a steer stuffer feeder, we also have our own IH grinder mixer.

Want a tub grinder/tmr, but not happening YET.

What ration feed would you make with the above? Bring in bean meal or oats too?

Tell me what you would do with what we have. Looking for outside idears.....lol

My friend feeds his beef cows ground corn with oats and minerals he puts in the mixer. They also get hay ledge and square baled hay. They seem to do fine on on that feed.

The ear corn and alfalfa ground together is a complete ration in itself and also an excellent self limiting ration. I would feed 3 pounds per hundred weight of the corn silage, free choice the grass hay and self feed the corn and Alfalfa ground together, you have everything it takes to make money with those rations.

For steer feed we used to grind 35 bu oats, 500 lb bean meal, mineral, dry molasses and fill rest of mixer (100 bu mixer) with ear corn. I THINK this will get protein around 14-16% (I THINK). Amount fed per day will vary with the size of the critter. You could grind a similar ration to topdress your corn silage. To supplement this, feed the ryegrass round bales free choice and sell the alfalfa square bales.

I have no experience with a steer stuffer, so I'm not sure how efficient/inefficient they are as far as consumption and conversion.

I always revert back to keeping it simple. It's hard to beat good genetics for best use of quality feed and infrastructure, iron, and diesel fuel all detract from your profit so limiting them as much as possible will always yield you best results.

Just my 2 cents, hope it was helpful.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back