certainly way off topic....memory foam bedding

cb

Member
i would kindly like some opinions on these memory foam mattresses. we are going to buy a new mattress and are not sure if a memory foam is the way to go. heard diffrent opinions about them. eg. has smell, too hot, etc. we positively want something soft, because of our medical problems. certainly value any of your responce as to subject. thanks in advance.
 
When we decided to replace our mattress we went with a "select comfort" bed. They have several grades or models, some with the memory foam.

We've been happy with the bed, but we have replaced the mattress covering or pillow top recently, after 6 yrs it was getting flat.

You might check them out.

As for memory foam I would only be concerned what the life expectancy is before it starts to degrade. High density foam is after all, just foam. Where or what provides the actual support?
 
Some hotel chains are now installing Select Comfort and Tempur-Pedic beds. It might be worthwhile to try before you buy.
 
We decided to try a couple of the pillows before we sprung the big bucks for the mattress. To me it's really soft to the touch, but it has a lot of springiness. Haven't been through the winter with it yet, but it's way to hot for summer. It was making my head sweat so bad the pillow was completely wet. Back to the old shredded foam pillow for me. Jim.
 
i thank each one for the responce, at the prices they want for these memory foam beds, i had better be right the first time on selecting a matress. havea great day.
 
We recently replaced our mattress and looked at them all. We like something a bit on the firm side and settled on a Spring Aire set. They have a wide selection of both foam and conventional designs.

I shopped all over and this was a good selection. We had an old Serta set that was getting so bad we had back problems. Within a week all pain was gone and we are happy again.

They are award winners and offer a comfort gaurantee.
Spring-Aire site
 
Foam is hotter than -- in the summer. My oldest son threw away a memory foam mattress and bought a select comfort. Wishes he had done that instead of wasting the money for the foam..
 
Bought a Tempur Pedic about a year ago. Paid about twenty five hundred for it . after having three back surguries I can say it is worth twice that. We always used a mattress warmer on our old mattress and they said we could not use it on this. I was a bit concerned be cause we like it warm but as most post have said they are WARM. I have woke up sweating many times but still love it all the same.
 
I have lower back pain and when we had a water bed I found that much better than a regular innerspring. With a new bed we went to the foam and I do not think I sleep as well and do wake up stiff..but I am also 5 years older.

We are debating going back to the insert style water bed...but the foam cost so %^&& much!
 
All memory foam is NOT the same.Tempurpedic is a licensed and quality product.Many of the "other"memory foam units are poorly made copies.Do the motel thing and try one,also Tempuredic offers a money back trial period thru most dealers.A true Tempurpedic has a good warranty on the bed and(skin)covering.I know 10-12 people who would never give up their Tempurpedics for anything else.I got mine through Ebay auction for 1/2 price about 2 yrs ago and the only thing that would make me change is lack of $$ down the road several years when/if it wears out.
 
I've debated on buying a memory foam to put on the top of my 4 year old posturepedic mattress. The posturepedic solved my sore back problems but is hard on my rib cage. Had a waveless waterbed for 21 years, but after 21 years I had twice the woman I married and she isn't any taller. This little 'inconvenent truth' caused an un-natural curvature in my back that was causing all the nerve problems in my lower back. Doc Hoffman tactfully suggested to me in front of her that I leave the hippie days behind and get a real mattress.
 
We like our Tempurpedic matress, which we bought about a year ago. My wife has problems with back pain and the new matress has really helped her. I find it comfortable, but then I was comfortable on our old matress that she thought was worn out.

The only thing I didn't like about the Tempurpedic was that it sure cost a lot. I have bought many good cars that cost lots less than that new bed! But when you consider that you spend about 1/3 of your time on that bed, it seemed like a reasonable idea to buy a good one.

I would suggest trying a number of different beds in a bedding store, and stay on them for at least 15 minutes each to let them settle down. My wife and I did that and she decided that the Tempurpedic was the best of all we tried. It was also the most expensive...but maybe worth it.

We also bought a very heavy matress pad for the new bed that seems to deal well with the heat and sweating problem. I don't think it would be very comfortable to be on foam with just a sheet between me and the matress. Good luck, think I am off to bed.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top