Changing Drive Belt Ford 340/540 w/FEL

Pic
cvphoto155741.jpg

Take out grille, clean pump splines and lube, remove 4 bolts holding driveshaft to pulley, work shaft forward to give room for belt to pass(there wont be any extra room) you may have to work belt through the gap or unbolt pump if you need just a hair more space. Watch for spacers between shaft and pulley, some of them have some that are easy to loose. If your shaft has the universals instead of a solid shaft, be sure to check them and grease them good, best chance youll ever get, and a shaft failure will cost you a radiator and several other night dollar things. Just take your time and pay attention. Be sure you tig(run those bolts back good and dont miss the hard to reach one!

Looking at your picture again, looks like you have the solid shaft, I think you have to undo the pump to get the needed bit of room

Some guys have success using ''link belt'' segmented V belts that can be installed without disturbing the ''stinger'' hydraulic pump drive. GOOGLE will find you some.

I used a link belt on my Pettibone. Worked fine. Just had to take a couple links out after it wore in/stretched. Search link v belt on Amazon.
Sample

If you decide to tear it apart wire a second new belt out of the way for next time.

Looks like you would loosen the coupling slide one half back and slip belt on. If more room needed loosen the pump. Sonde easy doesn't it. Not as easy as it sounds.

Unbolt the pump and use 2/4s to hold it 2 inches forwards. when you pull the shaft out of the couplers, check the splines on it as they often will wear to the point that they strip out and youll need a new shaft and couples. IIRC,, there is a short shaft and an long shaft when it comes to replacement, so be sure to measure the length. Use only a factory number or cross over to get a heavy duty belt, not some lightweight chin belt as you dont want to go back in there for 40 more years. So put a 26 dollar belt on it and not a 12 dollar belt on it!

I already have the new Holland replacement belt but I picked up the accu link link belt today & will try that instead. Ill report back how it does.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back