Charging problem

Clint(oh)

I have an 801 power master 6 volt PG that isn't charging. I have checked with a digital voltage meter with the engine running and I have 7+ volts at the generator as well as the regulator. No change above 6.15 volts at the battery and the engine dies once the battery is disconnected. Any ideas, any other place I should look? I have thought about replacing the wiring harness as it seems to have the original still on it.

Point taken

OK - fair enough, sir. I know on my N's I need an analog VOM with engine running as too much static interference will give false readings. Also as I say, it ain't the volts anyway -GENS work by charging the AMPS. Incorrect Wiring is #1 root cause problem with non-starting. Also he hasn't answered if he has the FAN BELT TENSIONER BRACKET attached and tension on belt working right? The #2 problem is guys fail to have a belt tensioner regardless if using the GEN or an ALT. Apollo 13 - "...it isn't the volts, it's the amps. Everything depends on the AMPS. Without 12 AMPS they can't operate anything..."

Kind Regards Bern
Tim Daley (MI)
Though there are Digital meters that average their sampling to be accurate those are often more expensive than those in the 25$ category. I have a Fluke that works, and 3 others that fail miserably. All my analog meters are usable in noise, from cheap $8 dollar Harbor freight to a Triplett Bench meter and an Old RCA VTVM. Jim

Upvote 0
Jumper wire from the armature the battery.
HUH? Why would you do that? Stop the guessing and go thru entire wiring system using the sketch from manuals before you do damage to system. Probing/prodding your VOM and not knowing where what and how to verify a circuit is just not logical. The '01 Series using 6V/POS GRN is shown in diagram. The '01 is basically the same as the '00 Series except they now eliminated the AMMETER and put a GEN CHARGE DASH IDIOT LAMP in its place. GEN Lamp should come ON when system is started then go out after a minute or so once it detects GEN is charging is OK. If it isn't, the lamp will stay ON. Do you have the 3-TERM VR - ARM FLD BAT? Do you have the OEM 3-WIRE/2-BRUSH/20A GEN? Do you have the GEN BELT TENSIONING Bracket on the GEN and the proper fan belt tension set? Have you motor tested the GEN? When was the last time you did a tune-up? Was timing set right with light thru inspection cover? Firing Order correct - 1, 2, 4, 3 CW? All legit points and questions I'd be looking at.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• I&T F0-20 SERVICE MANUAL.jpg
    I&T F0-20 SERVICE MANUAL.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • FORD TRACTOR 601 & 801 OWNERS MANUAL.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR 601 & 801 OWNERS MANUAL.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • FORD TRACTOR MPC  53-59.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR MPC 53-59.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 21
  • I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 143.jpeg
    I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 143.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • FORD TRACTOR LATE WIRING w- 12V NEG GRN - GEN & VR IN CIRCUIT.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR LATE WIRING w- 12V NEG GRN - GEN & VR IN CIRCUIT.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 601wiring.jpg
    601wiring.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0
I would like to know where you found an American made VR?
HAH! WE wish, don't we all? As with everything else these days, most all parts are now made in Cheena and are usually junk. I just bought a a FAG-10505-C VR off ebay. I just bought a NOS TISCO unit and it was made in India. Back in the 70's and 80's parts were mostly repopped in India or Brazil and could be of decent quality as suppliers had FORD techs to advise. Many wrongly assume they have a defective VR without any data to back it up so start replacing old with new and end up with the same problem. I spotted on ebay too a VR made by WELLS and it says USA MADE...think it was for the N-SERIES 8N.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• FORD TRACTOR 53-64 VR -FAG10505.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR 53-64 VR -FAG10505.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back