cherry picker

Dan-IA

Member
Anybody ever fashion up a cherry picker on a 3 point? I was thinking, it'd be nice and simple and would involve no moving parts, to have a small gin pole or boom or whatever that I could hook a log chain on and raise the 3pt to lift things.

I'm not handy with a welder, but I can't imagine something like that would be too hard to build.
 
Tractor Supply has them already built and painted with 500 pound lifting capacity for $99.99. If you had rather build one theres a pic on thier web site. Peavy
 
Woods Bros.(the belly mower and 3pt. mower people) used to make a real nice 3pt hoist. Don't know if they still do. Would fit on the quick hitch so it was easy on and off. Armand
 
I built one once and used it on a little ford 2000, I also put a boat winch on it and used a double stringer, I pulled engines and installed them with it and it worked great, the tractor was small enough that if you needed that little movement for clutch splines, you could roll it by hand.....
 
Yep. That's what I'm looking for. Gadget like this:

3PH-3.jpg


or maybe even simpler.

I'd break something with a 500# limit in no time. a 2ton limit would be nicer for lifting logs for cutting, for example.
 
A guy on ebay is selling one that is a pretty good design. It hinges in the middle, which effectively doubles the range of motion. Without this, a winch would probably be needed to use it effectively.

My dad has one of the original Ford Dearborn 3pt lifts. It functions the same way, but is much lighter in design.
Handi crane on ebay
 
What kind or should I say size tractor do you plan to use this on.
2 tons stuck out on the end of a pole can sure make the front end light on a smaller tarctor; thats why the TLC or simular ones are only rated at 500 lbs.
The longer the pole is the bigger the tractor needs to be for the same weight load.
 
Hi Dan,

This type of hoist is a first class lever. If you apply 4000lbs at end of boom connection point, the boom being 8ft long, then you would have 4000x8=32,000lbs at the 3pt connection.

That's alot of weight for a 3pt connection or the boom. Then start moving that load and that load weight can quickly triple(or more) in applied force or well exceed 100,000/lbs or just like having a 100000# hammer beating on the connecting pins.

Be very careful when dealing with distance and heavy weights.

T_Bone
 
Well-- Probably an IH 756, 826 hydro, or 1086. Got a 560, but it's only 2pt. I suppose I could hang it on the 3pt on a 4-150, but that's probably overkill for most things--though that articulation sure would make it nice to pick something up,swing it sideways a couple feet, and lay it on the ground.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top