Chevy Truck Advice

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Again, sorry for the O/T, this is kind of an extension from my S-10 trans question.

2000 S-10 ZR2 4x4
249,000 miles, yes 249k
Needs tires at $90 per corner
4x4 does not work. I can hear the t/c engage.
Transmission is allegedly burned up.
Getting water in the oil, but engine runs great.

Basically, the truck is really bad off right now, especially as it sits with a burnt trans.

I can live with poor tires and no 4x4. Engine makes me nervous. Received my share of grandpa's estate to fix trans.

My friend says I should think about selling it and putting what I can get for it towards another vehicle.

I like the truck, and the body and interior is in great shape, otherwise I'm very happy with it and have been since Oct. '05.

Should I cut my losses and get rid of old faithful? Or stick a trans in it and pray?

Could use some advice. Thank you.
 
To a fault, I'm always in favor of fixing up what I have. It sounds to me though, that you need an engine (or at least a head gasket) worse than you need a transmission.

Even still, if you will be doing the installing, I'd lean toward fixing it. As you say the body and upholstery is good. Is the front end good (ball joints, etc.)?


Glenn F.
 
Here's the accountant side of me. Put a pencil and paper to it. Figure up how much you would get for your old one, figure up what you can afford, and cost of repairing the old one. Lots to be said for a vehicle you like and enjoy. Once you have some figures, shop around and see what you can get that you can afford. Then decide what you want to do.
 
New ball joints last winter. Everything's tight in the front end, although it does pull to the right from a unevenly worn tire. I can live with that. I think I could do the head gaskets if I had a back-up vehicle, but the trans will be done by a pro.
 
i dropped the oil pan on our dodge caravan, cleaned out about a cup of metal debree, took an air hose to every hole or port, new filter & oil, drove for another year sold it & i still see it going up & down the highway, may not work 4 you but the van tranny was "trash" prior to this
 
Try a bone yard for trans and tires and wheels, you may get out of it for $800-$1000. then just a dirty weekend
offer cash to junk yards things get scraped out sooner then you think. I know some of the big yards around here (SE MASS)try to keep nothing older then 5-6 years, space is at a premium, at that kind of money, your only looking at 2-3 months payments w/insurance increase too on a newer replacement. Just a thought
 
May just be an intake gasket leak. What engine is in it ?
Have you checked into some used parts to fix it ?
 
www.tiretown.com
blem tires for 50-55 each and shipping is not to much .
even putting a couple of grand in it and driving it for 2-3 more years will be cheaper than buying another one 2 grand is only 6 months paymeents on a newer one
 
4.3 and I think I overheated the engine pulling a trailer through hilly eastern Iowa in August. Haven't looked for any parts 'cept for a new head gasket set.
 
Kinda what I'm thinking. If I get the trans/4wd and engine fixed now, there isn't a whole lot more that can go wrong in another 50k miles.
 
Some things to think about if you decided to buy another truck.
example:
$15000 purchase price= $300 month payment+increased insurance and property tax+ if you were in AR another $1200 sales tax
That means that you would be out $4800 the first year, if I liked the truck I'd fix it who knows what the economy will be in another year.
 
At 249k that 4.3 and trans are about used up.Look for a low milage truck that was totaled or just buy a remanufactured motor & trans/torque converter and change the whole drive train at once.Will be more $$$ but will save you trouble in the long run.
With the price of scrap these days wrecking yards around hear hold vehicles for a few weeks then crush them.Call around for a few weeks and keep and eye on craigslist.Might want to spend some time on the s10 forum.There is a lot of good info over there but some of those guys will try to talk you into installing a v8.
 
Mite B mite not B,,, DEAL if you have a problem whats the DEAL, who pays for ship'in it all over ell and back to Ireland while you are walk'in,,, they are bank'in on you will eat it and not send it back,,, Deal,,, I win you loose
 
Hey to deep just a thought here, not trying to sell you a pickup but just a thought for ya, i have a O1 s10 i just got a new 07 colorado, the s10 has 68000 on it 4x4 automatic 3rd door draw back is its a salvage title (means nothing to me as new one is same) needs a few things fixed also as normal for older pickups, body isnt perfect, but can be fixed in 3 weeks or so weather & time permiting located in northeast nebrask if your interested 4500 firm as books for 7500 w clear title by the time u dump 1500 into a new trany in yours & a 500 used eng.+labor thats 2500 more into yours with high milage anyway just a thought for ya
 
If you have been pulling trailers with this 4.3 liter and you now have motor problems, transmission problems, transfer case problems, bald tires, and whatever else is going bad after 249K miles, I would cut my losses and run. Seems like you have gotten your money out of this old truck. I see lots of 4 and 5 year old full-size trucks with 90 to 100K miles on them selling in the $3500 to $5000 range. You will have way more than that invested in your old truck that will continue to throw parts from here on out. Looked at a 99 Dodge standard cab the other day with a 318, auto, fully loaded with a lift kit and mags and tires for $3900. I bought a 99 GMC full size standard cab two years ago with 105K miles on it for $5000. It was immaculate and still is. I just put tires on it but that is the only money I have thrown at it other than routine maintenance. My son drives it back and forth to Murray State University, about 5 hours from the house. You got your money"s worth out of that little Chevy, now I would move on. Just my two cents worth.
 
249k? I would fix what you got with junkyard parts... I would not take it to a trans shop or engine rebuilder because it just isn"t worth it. I replaced the whole engine/transmission on my "97 dodge at 280K...because it was still in really good shape and I dumped a some money into the front rebuild. It now has 315k and running good, only problem is now I would like a newer used truck! (with better mpg)
 
If you are getting coolant in the oil, but yet it continues to run great, I would sure try some heavy duty stop leak before I tore into the engine. It is coolant, isn't it? If it is coolant, it is very, very important to change the oil extremely often. On the other hand, if it is just water, you may have a problem with your pcv system not removing the vapor from the crankcase.

GM made lots of those 4.3 engines. I bet you could get a good one from a wrecking yard fairly cheaply, if you end up needing to.

I would sure have more than one trans shop diagnose your transmission problems. Lots of the modern transmissions are electrically controlled. Maybe there is an electrical problem, and maybe that is why the 4wd isn't working either.

That does seem to be a lot of miles for a rig that new, but just what kind of miles have they been. 249K of city stop and go does not equal 249K of highway cruising. Is the suspension worn out? Does it quickly wear the tires out funny, or do they wear out evenly? Does the machine do the job you expect it to, and the one you will need it to in the relatively near future?

It is a hard decision about whether to dump a somewhat broken vehicle and get nearly nothing for it, or to spend some money and fix it. I generally end up fixing my vehicles and running them until I can no longer make them dependable. But that's just my way. Good luck with your decisions!
 
Try calling a few local gm dealers and price trans ,sometimes you can get a good deal on factory rebuilt items like motors and trannys
 
I'd fix what I already have if it's as good as you say it is otherwise. 249k is not the issue, what kind of miles they were is another (you gotta decide that). If your not loosing coolant, I wouldn't worry about the motor. Cold weather, short trips, and changing temps can build up moisture to a point that a dishonest garage could sell you an engine. Couple of people had real good suggestions. Forums are sometimes a lot of help after you weed out the motor mouths. And a good flush and band adjustment (do you still do that on newer models?) could be all the trans needs. I don't know what all is involved with the swap, but if it comes a time you need a new trans, I might think of a manual (forums are good sources for this info).

Good Luck,

Dave
 
try this:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/index.php

These guys may be clowns on the radio, but put out some real good info: Do a search on their site to see if you find your problem. may even be able to email them.

http://www.cartalk.com/

Good Luck,


Dave
 
When I bought it it had 187k and looked brand spankin' new...pretty certain they drove it to Chicago or on vacation all the time. It was an older couple that had it. Yep, still moving to MN...just hafta get my truck going so I can!
 
Would it be out of line to look for a 2000/2001 rollover with lower miles. Transplant the engine, trans, transfer case if needed. It`s kind of a roll of the dice but could save you alot of money.

Being a transmission rebuilder, with the laundry list of things you have going on, I`d be really hesitant to fix the trans, especially without having a good idea about what the rest of the repairs could run ya.

I also tend to run miles and keep fixing vehicles longer than most, but you also gotta look at when it`s time to hang it up and walk away. To you it`s a great truck, if you fix it and try to run another 50,000 miles out of it, to the rest of the world it`s a 300,000 mile truck.

Since the 4x4 doesn`t work, and that you can live without, you could probably buy a 2wd with 1/3 the miles for less than you`d have into fixing this one.

Only problem with that is if that lady friend of yours has you moving up to this neck of the woods, you`re probably gonna need the 4x4.

Nose around on carsoup alittle, see what trucks like your`s are going for, you may stumble onto something. Like someone else said, I`d sit down with a pencil and paper and do some calling. Figure out what different options and prices are. If this truck had 70-100k and every thing else was OK, to me it`d be a no brainer to fix the trans and get on with life, but......
 
i have advice for you dont buy a chevy. sorry i just had to say that. that was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the topic. hahaha
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top