People actually talked to each other

We had it all and didn't realise it

Do you remember"double dog dare"?

All the girls had ugly gym clothes

It took three minutes for the TV to warm up

No one owned a purebred dog

A quarter was an excellent allowance

You would stoop to pick up a penny in the gutter

You got your windshield cleaned,your oil checked,tires checked and gas pumped without asking, and all for free.and you even got trading stamps

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels inside the box

They said they would keep kids back a grade if they failed--and they actually did it

A 57 chevy was every ones dream car--to cruise,peel out,lay rubber,or street race

Young people went steady

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends saying things like--"that cloud looks like a"--

Playing ball with no adults around to make up rules

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals, because no one then tried to poison perfect strangers

And with all our progress don't you wish,just once,that you could step back in time and savor the slower pace,and share it with the children of today

Kids actually had to be selected to play on organized baseball or football teams

No one got trophys or awards just for competing

candy cigarettes,wax miniature coke bottles with colored sugar water inside,
party lines,pea shooters,78 rpm records,green stamps,mimeograph paper

Do you remember when decisions were made by "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"?

Mistakes were corrected by uttering "do over"

Race issues meant who was the fastest runner

Catching fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening

It wasn't odd to have more than one best friend

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30 minute commercials for action figures

"olly olly action free" made perfect sense

Spinning around getting dizzy and falling down was amusement

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a sandlot team

War--was a card game

Taking drugs meant orange flavored chewable aspirin

Water balloons were a weapon

Remember the perfect age is somewhere between old enough to know better and too young to care

Do you remember Howdy Doody, Peanut Gallery, The Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows, Gene Autry,
Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Bob Steele, Tom mix , Tim Holt, Lash Larue, Randolf Scott, Trigger,
buttermilk, Silver,Scout, and oh so many others from our past? Bob Hope, Bing Crosby,
Red Skelton, Fibber Mcgee and Molly, Amos and Andy, Benny Goodman, Xavier Cugat, Clark Gable,
Maureen Ohara, Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, James Cagney, Edward G Robinson, Humphrey Bogart,
Hank Williams, Ernest Tubbs, Roy Acuff--to name just a few.

Do you remember??

If you remember all or most of them
then you have lived my friend

I'm sure there's plenty more not mentioned

Blue water Massey You just took me back to my childhood memories. We have more "things" these days but our over all quality of life is not as good. Families are not as tight and neighbors being friends are optional. No one "HAS' to get along with any body anymore. Those that do wrong are not punished they are "rehabilitated" and turned back lose on society.

A very good friend of mine is convinced that the end times are near. He talks about all the wrong in the world and the ONE world order stuff as all being steps toward the end. At times I think he maybe correct.

Don't forget the party line had nothing to do with politics.
This was on the TV a women asked a bunch of kids what's an answering machine? Response a machine that gives answers.

All of those things,, and we appreciated what we had, went to bed tired and woke up ready to see what the new day would bring..yes we lived and grew up in a most wonderful time...

Went to Air Show and Fireworks in my home town. Way tooo many people on there cell phones texting or talking during the show. I always wonder what they do that is so important.

"...when a Coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be."

Yeah, I remember (and miss) all those things. Fortunately my two girls got a small taste of it, the leftovers anyway, growing up around my parents and my roots.

Couple of things to add to the games we played: when's the last time you saw any kids playing marbles? Or carry a sling shot made from a tire tube and a shoe tongue (double-rubber made from a forked stick, single rubber needed only a straight stick.) Anybody play Red Rover or Four-in-a-wad? Mumbletypeg? Remember "Kings", or "Kings-X"? Depending on the activity, it was supposed to grant some sort of temporary immunity or time-out from various forms of mayhem.

How about the pride a boy could feel , being able to do a "man's " work ? I remember being so pleased to be asked to stay home from school to help at planting or harvest time . Kids now would think it some kind of punishment to be asked to work , not honoured to be asked . We live in a very different world in so many ways.

Yes I also remember how we lived before REA came in. After the one room country school we called the Corn Cobb Collage we went to school in town. I well remember getting on that old Brockway school bus with a pint mayonnaise jar of raw milk and a honey pail with a couple sandwiches in it to ride the 5 miles to school in town. At lunch time I felt so bad because the other kids had sandwiches made with store bought bread with the nice slices and my were just the old home made bread with crooked cut slices. A kid that sat next to me had a dinner pail with a thermos jug in it and store bought bread and always had a banana in it and Roy Rogers on the lid of the dinner pail. Now to day at 77 years old I see who had the better lunch. If I could just go back and do it all over I would laugh at the poor kids that didn't have it as good as I did.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back